What's new

First time shaving with a Crystal

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I shaved with a Crystal blade today and yesterday and the shave was smooth with no irritation or nicks. I don't know how many shaves I'm going to get out of this blade, but it is much more comfortable than the Personna Med Prep I was using. That sharp, but rough and irritating. The Med Prep remined me of the Feather blade. It was sharp, but I had to use an extra light touch like I was walking on egg shells and rice paper and I still couldn't avoid blood letting.

I've sampled over 25 of the brands you've seen listed here, from the worshiped to the throwaways. And after ranking all those blades, Crystal was right at the top of my list (right up there with Gillette Silver Blue). And they are the only blades where I purchased 200 at one time. The Silver Blue's will probably be the only other blade where I purchase 100+ at one time.

Feather blades? When I tried them, I kept having visions of "Sweeney Todd" flash before my eyes.

I've sampled over 25 of the brands you've seen listed here, from the worshiped to the throwaways. And after ranking all those blades, Crystal was right at the top of my list (right up there with Gillette Silver Blue). And they are the only blades where I purchased 200 at one time. The Silver Blue's will probably be the only other blade where I purchase 100+ at one time.

Feather blades? When I tried them, I kept having visions of "Sweeney Todd" flash before my eyes.
For me, the Feathers are made for the AsD2. At least for me. Crystal's are great!

For me, the Feathers are made for the AsD2. At least for me.
I was naive enough to think a Feather might be good in a Feather Popular. Man, was I wrong. Worst shave of my life. Couldn't even leave the house for a couple hours due to the degree of irritation and blotchy redness. Looked like I had shaved with an electric sander. Crystal? Works well in all the razors you see listed in my signature line below.

I was naive enough to think a Feather might be good in a Feather Popular. Man, was I wrong. Worst shave of my life. Couldn't even leave the house for a couple hours due to the degree of irritation and blotchy redness...

Yet many complain that the Feather Popular is a mild razor. :001_smile I love mine, however I have only used a Feather blade once in it. I prefer other blades that are IMO just as sharp, but smoother.

I really liked the Crystals in my Feather Popular. Wasn't as crazy about them in my 37c, but they weren't bad either. Haven't tried them in my NEW LC yet.

There are two Crystal blades models. Platinum Chrome and Stainless Steel. Platinum are nice and smooth like Israeli personas. The Stainless were harsh for me.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 198
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 198
There are two Crystal blades models. Platinum Chrome and Stainless Steel. Platinum are nice and smooth like Israeli personas. The Stainless were harsh for me.
Good point. I use the Platinum Chrome - those are the ones I bought in bulk. And of the dozen or so shaving supply places I have bookmarked, only a couple even sell the Stainless version. The vast majority only sell the Platinum.

I tried both and IMO there is no difference. I thought so at first, but after a few blades decided not. It's a fair blade for me, nothing spectacular.

I got some nice shaves out of Crystals but the only last me 3 shaves before they go in the bin.

Yes, that is also a YMMV thing. I routinely get five to six good shaves from them. The "Personna Platinum Chrome" blades last even longer for me.

Crystal blades are one of the few that I can throw in any of my razors and not worry about how they feel. Great blades.

Really enjoy my crystals. I was a bit skeptical when I recieved them in my sampler, but they quickly became my go to blade. I just wish that I was turned on to Israeli blades earlier. I feel like crystals and personna reds are great starter blades. Sharp but forgiving.

I used my first Crystal in my 62' Gillette Tech today and found it a tad underwhelming compared to my Astra SP blades. Maybe the razor though. It's pretty mild. It was better than the Personna Red, but not as smooth.

Tried the Crystal for the first time in my ATT R1...I had been using Gillette Silver Blues. It was every bit the Silver Blue's equal in terms of both sharpness and smoothness. I was very pleased and will use them regularly.

Top Bottom