What's new

One more shave clinic question on pre shave oil

Hi guys,

Thanks again for the warm welcome and for the advice on wetting my face just before lathering—that made a big difference. :thumbup1:

For you seasoned veterans who use a pre shave oil, I've got one that is rather thick. It does not help with lubrication that I can perceive after a 1/2 face two trial test. Would you recommend trying a bit of water over the top before lathering? Do any of you actually do that?

Thank you much,

Michael

I apply it with face slightly wet (just out of shower and no drying face and head). The point of the oil is to seal in moisture, so your face should be a little wet. I then let it sit while making a cup of coffee and then building my lather. Pat a little more water on and lather up.

The oil bases make a big difference. So far grape seed oil seems to be nice and slick without being too thick and clogging things up.

Hi guys,

Thanks again for the warm welcome and for the advice on wetting my face just before lathering—that made a big difference. :thumbup1:

For you seasoned veterans who use a pre shave oil, I've got one that is rather thick. It does not help with lubrication that I can perceive after a 1/2 face two trial test. Would you recommend trying a bit of water over the top before lathering? Do any of you actually do that?

Thank you much,

Michael

guess im old fashioned,sometimes you new guys overthink shaving.wet your face,apply lather.shave off the wiskers.marketing sells us way more than we need.look at cart razors.the only reason you need 6 blades in one razor head is to sell more blades.ymmv

I wish it was that easy for me, but I say if you think it helps, then use it.

"If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you *are*! And you should know that!" - Crash Davis

Personally, I have never cared for pre-shave oil. A good face-lathering for a few solid minutes seems to be the best prep for me. Good luck.

newbie here. second poster that said not overthinking it. i have bought a glycerin soap from whole foods for 1.89. i wet it then rub it on my face and rub it in. throw my boar in a cup of water and make some good, not dry lather. should almost feel like youre putting whipped cream on your face. you don't want it to be dry or else itll slow down speed of glide.

that glycerin soap doesn't seem to be hurting. shave is taking a half hour. making progress over here. good luck!

Often I suspect you're right. I've got unusually sensitive skin, but my face seems to do better after my shave with nothing. All but one aftershave I've tried visibly and almost instantly increase redness and irritation. That's probably unusual, but it is the case with me.

guess im old fashioned,sometimes you new guys overthink shaving.wet your face,apply lather.shave off the wiskers.marketing sells us way more than we need.look at cart razors.the only reason you need 6 blades in one razor head is to sell more blades.ymmv

Thanks for sharing your routine. Makes me want to go shave now.

I apply it with face slightly wet (just out of shower and no drying face and head). The point of the oil is to seal in moisture, so your face should be a little wet. I then let it sit while making a cup of coffee and then building my lather. Pat a little more water on and lather up.

The oil bases make a big difference. So far grape seed oil seems to be nice and slick without being too thick and clogging things up.

A real oil-oil pre-shave can be too gummy to help me much. I use every shave a little dab of Geo. F. Trumper Coral Skin Food before every shave. (I also use it after every shave.) I think it really helps me avoid irritation, but I can't scientifically prove it. I use TFS Bergamotto Neroli pre-shave when I'm using their soap, with similar good results. I have tried sweet almond oil before almond-scented shaves. This oil is really thick on my face; I have learned to use only a drop or two.

Thanks for the suggestions. I discovered after using AOS Sandalwood pre shave oil with no benefit because it's tacky, that if I splash a bit of water over the top of it it does have a bit more glide. Not what I'm looking for in a pre-shave product, but it will at least make this $30 work for something other than the delicious scent.

A real oil-oil pre-shave can be too gummy to help me much. I use every shave a little dab of Geo. F. Trumper Coral Skin Food before every shave. (I also use it after every shave.) I think it really helps me avoid irritation, but I can't scientifically prove it. I use TFS Bergamotto Neroli pre-shave when I'm using their soap, with similar good results. I have tried sweet almond oil before almond-scented shaves. This oil is really thick on my face; I have learned to use only a drop or two.

Top Bottom