What's new

Balding for Women

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not see any thread about this, so I decided to start a new one.

Basically, my wife gave birth a couple of months ago. I noticed that she has been shedding a lot of hair. I would go into the bathroom and I would see hair strands everywhere and that is after she has cleaned up and thrown most of it in the trash can. Recently, I have been noticing bald spots on her head. I am not sure if she noticed, but I don't want to mention anything to her until I find out more about it.

Is this normal? What do women usually do in these situations? What should I tell my wife?

I don't really know specifically, but a woman's body chemistry changes lots during/after pregnancy. It could be related to this change.

I can't help.

But I think you should talk to your wife about it and seek medical advice. That's what I would do.

Best of luck and congrats on the baby!

Interestingly enough, I believe this has been something my mom's had to deal with every once in a while. When I was a lot younger I'd have to go to the dermatologist with her and she'd get shots in her head.

I don't really want to ask my mom about what exactly she had, but I'd say a dermatologist might be able to help if you can see one. As with a lot of threads along these lines - go see a doctor.

Do not take this the wrong way but why are you asking us ?
This is a random collection of oddballs who collect and use old razors.

My advice would be use Google and go to a doctor.

these guyes are good for medical advice
http://www.mayoclinic.org/

I'm going to go be strange someplace else now.

Actually, this is common. My wife had the same thing happen to her after the birth of all our kids. Her hair grew back. In fact, I bet if you mentioned it to your wife she would probably tell you the same thing. As always, consult a doctor. We did and they told us it was a common occurence with women after child birth.

As a general rule a woman notices everything.

Many women go through the same thing. Here is an article to read about it. A friend of the family's niece underwent the same problem and she sought medical help. Her doctor recommended she take vitamin supplements: Vitamin B complex, vitamin E and C, as well as zinc and biotin. This problem lasted a few months before her hair went back to normal.

Most likely she knows more about it than you do already, but if you're concerned about it, why haven't you talked to her already?

If I remember correctly, it is pretty normal, and temporarily. Side effect of the hormonal changes after giving birth.

As a father of 2, and being married for close to 10 years, here's what I would suggest.

1) Don't mention anything to your wife. She's gone through enough having a baby. It's extremely stressful on the body, and thus the hair thinning results. She's already well aware of that fact.

2) This is completely normal. It'll take a bit of time, but those thick locks will eventually make a return.

3) Stop worrying about her hair, and give your wife a massage, make her her favourite meal, and when the little one goes down for a sleep...rub your wife's feet...it will help with the circulation.

4) Repeat step 3 on a regular basis.

I'm not an expert, but I am on an internet blog....

1) She's likely noticed. If she hasn't mentioned it to you, she may be embarrassed about it. Tread carefully.
2) Women's hormones are ALL OVER THE PLACE....especially during pregnancy. It's LIKELY related to that.
3) HOWEVER, loss of hair CAN be a sign of a serious medical issue as well.

So, if it were me (I know it's not), I'd try to ask her about it in a way that makes her realize I'm concerned with her health and not her appearance. Perhaps asking if she's been feeling alright. Again, it's most likely nothing, but if it is early detection could be key.

Finally, and most importantly, congrats on the new little one. May you get all the rest you can, and may your little one grow strong and healthy.

My sister had a child a couple years ago. Her feet grew 2 sizes, she smelled horrible for a year and a few other things. I am in no way qualified to say this but it sounds like a hormonal thing, as it always is (usually). Definitely see a doctor. I can almost guarantee she has noticed, especially if she's cleaning up her own hair (she must suspect where it's coming from). Talk to her about it and of course do all you can to let her know you love her. She knows it, but she also wants to hear it, especially when balding. See a Dr. Go with her so she doesn't have to be alone (I know it sucks having to take a baby to the Dr, especially when the baby isn't the one being seen). Balding is difficult for men even though it's acceptable. So imagine how she, a woman, feels.

I'm sorry for "telling you how to live your life". I just want to be thorough and I don't mean to sound like one of those know-it-all people. You know her best, of course, so apply all your experiences with her. I also want to stress that I'm only saying what I think I would want to hear in this situation, as it's the best I've got.

Best wishes to you and your wife and congratulations on the baby.
-Wil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom