What's new

Homemade Sausages

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
OK I added the extra fat to the mix, added some water. Rinsed and soaked the casings.
I think I over stuffed the first bit as I had no room adjust to make a individual link. The first few burst so I just cut them off and continued and all was good.
I decided to add some onion flakes to the busted ones and put through again, might as well mix it up a bit.
Thanks everyone for the help.

$20140917_162828.jpg$20140917_164052.jpg$20140917_165617.jpg

$20140917_171003.jpg

Good work! Just out of interest, do any of you guys ever add breadcrumbs to your sausage? I'm guessing it's just a Brit thing

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Good work! Just out of interest, do any of you guys ever add breadcrumbs to your sausage? I'm guessing it's just a Brit thing
Thanks. Here in NZ breadcrumbs are used not sure if it is the norm or just some type of sausages. I had forgot about breadcrumbs. They could be a nice addition for another day.
The link you posted above was a good read.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
No prizes for guessing what I had for breakfast.
Flavour was nice and was well balanced. Texture was good but maybe a bit too firm. I used the smallest horn, next time will go up a size to allow easier flow with stuffing.
I am keen to try including breadcrumbs in the next batch, I believe this helps keep them moist when cooking.
YetiDave. How much breadcrumbs do you use?

Now these are not going win the best looking sausage award but it is a start.

$20140918_083150.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
No prizes for guessing what I had for breakfast.
Flavour was nice and was well balanced. Texture was good but maybe a bit too firm. I used the smallest horn, next time will go up a size to allow easier flow with stuffing.
I am keen to try including breadcrumbs in the next batch, I believe this helps keep the moist when cooking.
YetiDave. How much breadcrumbs do you use?

Now these are not going win the best looking sausage award but it is a start.

$Homer_drool.jpg

Congrats on a successful first batch. Your process was well documented in words and photos. Very easy to follow. I am salivating here just reading about your success. Congrats!!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks guys, it was a fun process.
I like the idea of making my own sausages, as I will know exactly what is going into them and can custom make them to my taste.

I use 10% of the overall weight of the meat in breadcrumbs :001_smile it definitely helps keep them moist and I prefer the texture. I've tried a few 100% meat sausages and they never were quite right

That looks really good! I only ever put breadcrumbs into stuff like morcilla. Most sausages I just try to get the fat properly emulsified so it moistens instead of running out of the casing as it cooks.

I'm glad you had fun, the last place I worked I made sausage all the time, but now I only make an uncased lamb sausage. I usually make boudin for thanksgiving or Christmas, maybe I'll get worked up and make something nicer this year.

Top Bottom