What's new

Hello from Sheffield

At the age of 41 I've finally decided to learn how to shave :lol:. Well, I've wet shaved for 15 years with cartridge blades but as we all know it's a different kettle of fish compared to DE shaving. I actually never had an issue with cartridge blades, especially Fusion. I get a great shave with no irritation and can go against the grain with few issues. My only reason for wanting to learn how to shave with a DE razor is mainly one of cost compared to cartridges. Though like many I'm finding that I'm already getting attacks of RAD and I've only had two shaves so far! My other hobby is photography and we call it GAS - Gear Aquisition Syndrome. I'm hoping the world of proper wet shaving won't be another costly hobby like photography :biggrin1:

Anyway, coming from the home of steel I couldn't buy anything else other than a Sheffield brand of razor so I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89. Read lots and lots over the past few days on B&B and various other forums and also bought and read twice LeisureGuy's excellent Guide To Gourmet Shaving. My first two shaves have been vey disappointing though pretty much blood free. Just not the BSS I get pretty easily with my Fusion. I've been pretty disheartened with the results to be honest. I must admit these DE razors scare me to death so I think it's as much becoming confident with the razor as the technique itself. I stupidly went ATG on my first two DE shaves and didn't suffer too terribly but my second shave was certainly worse and I had some razor bumps under my chin. I gather now that going ATG is a pretty silly thing to do at first.

Looking forward to contributing and reading.

Cheers.

Welcome to B&B!

DE shaving, unlike shaving with a cart, is all about progressive beard reduction. Keep reading and continue practicing, the results will surely improve.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. DE shaving is a learned skill that must be developed with time and practice. Stick with it and you will be rewarded with excellent shaves as you develop your technique.

At the age of 41 I've finally decided to learn how to shave :lol:. Well, I've wet shaved for 15 years with cartridge blades but as we all know it's a different kettle of fish compared to DE shaving. I actually never had an issue with cartridge blades, especially Fusion. I get a great shave with no irritation and can go against the grain with few issues. My only reason for wanting to learn how to shave with a DE razor is mainly one of cost compared to cartridges. Though like many I'm finding that I'm already getting attacks of RAD and I've only had two shaves so far! My other hobby is photography and we call it GAS - Gear Aquisition Syndrome. I'm hoping the world of proper wet shaving won't be another costly hobby like photography :biggrin1:

Anyway, coming from the home of steel I couldn't buy anything else other than a Sheffield brand of razor so I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89. Read lots and lots over the past few days on B&B and various other forums and also bought and read twice LeisureGuy's excellent Guide To Gourmet Shaving. My first two shaves have been vey disappointing though pretty much blood free. Just not the BSS I get pretty easily with my Fusion. I've been pretty disheartened with the results to be honest. I must admit these DE razors scare me to death so I think it's as much becoming confident with the razor as the technique itself. I stupidly went ATG on my first two DE shaves and didn't suffer too terribly but my second shave was certainly worse and I had some razor bumps under my chin. I gather now that going ATG is a pretty silly thing to do at first.

Looking forward to contributing and reading.

Cheers.
Welcome, what other shave gear do you have, such as brush, cream, blades......you may also like this B&B fun forum
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/64-The-Darkroom

Thanks everyone.

This is the kit I have: Edwin Jagger DE89, Edwin Jagger Pre Shave Cream, Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap, Osma Alum bloc, Vulfix 404 brush (called the 'Bodger' I believe), White Company after shave balm (found it knocking about at the back of the medicine cabinet). I have a fair few blade samples: Personna, Derby, Feather, Astra, Shark, Perma Sharp, 7 O'Clock.

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting :)

Welcome, what other shave gear do you have, such as brush, cream, blades......you may also like this B&B fun forum
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/64-The-Darkroom

Indeed it is. I wonder as we get older whether we get more impatient when we learn a new skill. I know I do, but I get more stubborn as I get older so I tend to see things through!

My third shave tonight is probably one of the best shaves I've ever had. It was amazing. I've written everything down that I did to try and repeat the performance. I think it was mainly because I forced myself to be slightly more confident with each stroke and realise that I wasn't actually going to seriously hurt myself. I know everyone tells you to be careful of DE shavers, and quite rightly, but I think during my first two shaves I was actually too hesitant.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. DE shaving is a learned skill that must be developed with time and practice. Stick with it and you will be rewarded with excellent shaves as you develop your technique.

Indeed it is. I wonder as we get older whether we get more impatient when we learn a new skill. I know I do, but I get more stubborn as I get older so I tend to see things through!

My third shave tonight is probably one of the best shaves I've ever had. It was amazing. I've written everything down that I did to try and repeat the performance. I think it was mainly because I forced myself to be slightly more confident with each stroke and realise that I wasn't actually going to seriously hurt myself. I know everyone tells you to be careful of DE shavers, and quite rightly, but I think during my first two shaves I was actually too hesitant.

Good point. You are only three shaves in, so you have a lot of time to gain experience. It will get even better (with some inevitable bumps along the way). Practice and patience will lead to better and better shaves.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks everyone.

This is the kit I have: Edwin Jagger DE89, Edwin Jagger Pre Shave Cream, Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap, Osma Alum bloc, Vulfix 404 brush (called the 'Bodger' I believe), White Company after shave balm (found it knocking about at the back of the medicine cabinet). I have a fair few blade samples: Personna, Derby, Feather, Astra, Shark, Perma Sharp, 7 O'Clock.

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting :)
Keep us posted on your shave progress and photography too.

Top Bottom