What's new

screws instead of pins - where to buy

Instead of messing with pins I'd love to use some kind of adjustable allen head flush mount type screw or some other type of fastener that could be easily assembled and disassembled. My goal would to to be able to easily disassemble a razor for cleaning or easily tighten a loose blade. Plus I like the more high tech look of a more modern fastener.

Is there something that you might recommend and a place to purchase these type of products. I've found some very small stainless screws, washers and nuts at the local hardware store but these aren't a long term solution as I'd prefer to find something that would be more flush and give more of a finished look.

I know I've seen what I'm looking for on some high end custom razors but have no idea where to purchase these type of items.

Please share anything that you might recommend as well as any thoughts you might have as to the pros and cons of this.

Thank you,

They are called pivot barrels, 1/8 being the smallest size they come in. You will have to drill out the pivot hole in the tang to fit the barrel in, then a screw on either side of it.

I only use them on beefy blades (choppers & wedges) with larger scales. I think they look funny on 6/8 hollows and smaller. Here's a W & B with the Micro Fasteners's # 0 screws...

Here they are on my GD. The only thing I don't like is they have sharp corners. I thought about taking a file to them but this would defeat the purpose of the bolts.
. $IMG_20140619_001039.jpg

I'd like to find something small enough that would work well. I was looking at Chain ring bolts as a possibility but I'm having trouble finding them small enough. I'm open to any suggestions but would really like something that is as close to flush mount as I can get without major modifications.

Can someone post a picture of them before they're installed?

This is what they look like before being cut to length. The sleeve is cut to the width of the tang and bolts cut off so they don't hit when tightened down. These look much cleaner than the bolts from microfasteners IMO. But they are a permanent modification to the razor.

For what we use them for you could easily get 2 razors out of the barrel. Just cut it in half and order some more bolts.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410680695.140495.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Microfasteners are great, but I use them more temporarily fastening razors and scales. Once I know I like the combo it gets set permanently with pins and washers. It takes a little more skill, but once you do a few they see pretty simple to do.

Top Bottom