What's new

Ties - To Untie or not?

Do you untie your ties or leave them tied?

• I always untie them.

• I never untie them.

• Sometimes yes, sometimes no - no real reason or pattern

• It depends...

Results are only viewable after voting.
For everyone that has issues with wrinkles creases from tied ties...

I bought a steamer for my clothing a while back, and have never been happier. My suits look sharp daily, and the steamer also works well on my ties, too, without any of the complications an iron offers.

Steamers can be had for cheap, to boot.

Hopefully this helps some.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
For everyone that has issues with wrinkles creases from tied ties...

I bought a steamer for my clothing a while back, and have never been happier. My suits look sharp daily, and the steamer also works well on my ties, too, without any of the complications an iron offers.

Steamers can be had for cheap, to boot.

Hopefully this helps some.

Steamers are awesome. I used one (several) all the time when I worked at JCPenny. Wrinkles be gone!

Steamers are awesome. I used one (several) all the time when I worked at JCPenny. Wrinkles be gone!
Perk of the job! Very nice. My wife saw me using my steamer when I first bought it, and seemed skeptical at first. Week after, she was using it every morning before work, and hasnt stopped since. They really are a useful tool, especially for those (like us) that have to dress up for work every day.

I mostly dislike the creases created behind the knee of most pant legs...looks like a spider web of unattractive. The steamer does a fine job of eliminating these creases, in addition to keeping my coats/jackets immaculate.

I don't dry clean on a regular basis, to preserve the material of my clothes. And you can't really launder DRY CLEAN ONLY items (Dryel is a mediocre alternative). Also, I try to keep the iron away from anything besides my shirts. So naturally, a steamer seems like the only other logical tool!

I find my more expensive ties do facilitate a good clean knot better than the cheap ones.

And I untie mine and put them on a rack. I'm just running out if space on the rack now.

I always re-tie as I wear a different tie each day. Usually tie a Double Windsor knot unless it's a shorter tie then I use a half windsor.

Since I am 6' 7'' I am more or less condemned to always use Pratt knot (four-in-hand). Once you get some practice you can make it look as good as Windsor and function just as good

Top Bottom