What's new

Identify my huge bug, please.

The spider thread reminded me to post this pic. Anyone know what it is? It's about 2 inches long and an inch across. I've found others dead on the property, but this is the first live one.

added another pic

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 248
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Kind of hard to tell from the photos, but possibly a female broad necked root borer. very large beetle about as big as a rhinocerous beetle. The males have large mandibles that look menacing, but used for territorial disputes. Not gonna say that its 100% for sure, but a possibility going by the general shape and size.

The June Bugs I remember playing with as a child looked like a Japanese Beetle on steroids. We'd tie a length of sewing thread to a hind leg and let it fly around on a leash. Eventually they'd escape. One day I saw one of grandma's chickens walking around with a thread hanging out of its beak.

I thought when you said huge you meant huge: :lol:

proxy.php

Very friendly by all accounts. The burrowing cockroach; it is found in Northern Australia.

Our local variety isn't quite so large, but still pretty hefty, the Drymaplaneta communis or Common Shining cockroach. They average around the 1.5 - 2 inch mark. They get inside the house a lot and lurk around gardens. Good fun to watch people reacting to them.

Not sure. It's not a June Bug. The shape isn't right, and June Bugs certainly don't get that big. Based on what I found than can be found locally, Id say maybe a Brown-Hooded Cockroach (Cryptocercus punctulatus) They can get up to 1.25 inches long. Possibly another roach species?

Correction from my previous post, I do not think it is a June bugs, they do not get 2" long, maybe be female hercules beetle.
Just got confirmation from the wife. She says it is the Hercules beetle. She also tells me she looked it up years ago with our son and maybe I might have thought of asking her since she has a masters in forestry and wildlife and might be expected to know something about this but noooooooo, there's probably a better answer on a forum dedicated to shaving and doesn't that make sense.

Gonna be lonely tonight.

Just got confirmation from the wife. She says it is the Hercules beetle. She also tells me she looked it up years ago with our son and maybe I might have thought of asking her since she has a masters in forestry and wildlife and might be expected to know something about this but noooooooo, there's probably a better answer on a forum dedicated to shaving and doesn't that make sense.

Gonna be lonely tonight.

Goodness that is funny.... It also sounds exactly like something I would do. It's a good thing there is a comfy couch in my living room.

But sometimes you don't want a quick answer from the experts... sometimes you want to have a conversation with friends!

Top Bottom