What's new

Gillette Bottom-Dial cleanup|Before and After

Looking fantastic CAP. You are a true craftsman. I always had faith that you could pull it off. All your experience with Fat Boys has honed your skills. From the photos, I can't even tell the spline joint was epoxied. Really good job sir!
Glenn, thank you for trusting me with this, I wasn't going to give up, I never do! I have had tons of fun working on this, I think you are going to have to shave with it....at least once:biggrin:

Looks fantastic! Well done CAP!

Congrats Glenn! :thumbup1:
Than you, Edgar:smile:

Glenn, thank you for trusting me with this, I wasn't going to give up, I never do! I have had tons of fun working on this, I think you are going to have to shave with it....at least once:biggrin:

Than you, Edgar:smile:

CAP you should shave with it before you let it go. You may never have another chance.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I humbly present the No Date Code 1-5 Bottom-Dial Fatboy, restored:
$100_2760.jpg$100_2761.jpg$100_2762.jpg$100_2763.jpg$100_2764.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations gentlemen on a job well done!

Glenn, I admire your courage in letting such a prize piece be 'experimented' on in such a way in order to give it a chance of restoration - it could have ended very badly but you risked that for a greater reward.

Captain Murphy, wow, a true craftsman, an artisan able to work wonders in a way that honours and respects the past and the integrity of the piece.

I'm reminded as I look of this thread of the restoration of paintings and other artworks. Done carefully and meticulously the piece is given new life without detracting from its authenticity or history.

We know that this razor is restored, it is not NOS, but if you look at the before pics in the first post (or even better those when Glenn first received it) and those above I think you will agree that this beauty is now as she should be.

Well done !!!!

$Orson_Welles_Clapping.gif

Fantastic work gentlemen. Great razor and incredible restoration work. The King would be proud and impressed with your workmanship! Thanks for doing this and great to see the photos. In their entirety.

Wow. Fantastic job CAP! What a great piece Glenn has with the cool story attached to it. I am now thinking I may need to get one of my adjustables done up with a black dial with white numbers. Not sure why this didn't make it to market because it looks sweet. It may be due to the reason for the restore in the first place (paint isn't as durable as metal plating). Beautiful job. Congrats Glenn on one kick *** razor.

Thank you all for the awesome feedback and comments on the final result. This was an exciting project from start to finish! I certainly gained a lot of knowledge and experience from working on these two bottom-dials as well as collaborating with Glenn and everyone else who contributed to the restoration. It is amazing to look at the way things were built in the 50's compared to today. I thought everyone would like the Fusion cartridge razor I tossed in the photos, I hope I didn't spoil them!:tongue_sm

I want to thank Glenn once again for entrusting me with the restoration and repairs. I cannot tell you how much it means, Sir. The internet is a scary place and the amount of trust you gave me with TWO bottom dials is astonishing! I hope you enjoy your beauties! :thumbup1:

Absolutely amazing.

I really can't think of other words that would better reflect what I am trying to say.

CAP, I have worked with you quite a bit now - and you never fail to amaze me with your skills. You have also earned the respect of my replate customers as well. Thanks for the assistance on some of the mechanical issues that a few of my customers have faced. You have graciously accepted all the referrals I have made to you . Many thanks for that!

You are now, not only a master of all things Fat Boy, but you're getting awfully proficient with those high dollar British "Numbered" Aristocrats as well:wink2:

Kudos to you, my friend. You are a true asset to the B&B community!

Absolutely amazing.

I really can't think of other words that would better reflect what I am trying to say.

CAP, I have worked with you quite a bit now - and you never fail to amaze me with your skills. You have also earned the respect of my replate customers as well. Thanks for the assistance on some of the mechanical issues that a few of my customers have faced. You have graciously accepted all the referrals I have made to you . Many thanks for that!

You are now, not only a master of all things Fat Boy, but you're getting awfully proficient with those high dollar British "Numbered" Aristocrats as well:wink2:

Kudos to you, my friend. You are a true asset to the B&B community!
Chris,

It definitely means a lot coming from a man of your prestige. Thank you so much for the kind words, the feeling is mutual! I am glad that I have been able to build some credibility and earn the trust from not only you but many other members as well. I see my name pop up here and there on the troublesome vintage razor threads that people post and I must say, that makes me a very happy person. I will continue to accept any and all requests and referrals from you, my friend! I am not an expert by any means but I will do my absolute best on those items I work on:thumbup:

Top Bottom