What's new

First DE Shave - Newbie Mistakes

One thing that has worked for me recently is to use a bit of Witch Hazel immediately after shaving and before I put on aftershave. It's helped sooth any irritation I may have around the jawline. Otherwise, so much of it is just practice, practice, practice.

One thing that has worked for me recently is to use a bit of Witch Hazel immediately after shaving and before I put on aftershave. It's helped sooth any irritation I may have around the jawline. Otherwise, so much of it is just practice, practice, practice.

Some people turn their noses up at witch hazel but there's a reason it's been around for so many years.

Until you get the hang of your technique, you may want to consider a blade that is milder than the Feather. And as you figured out, wait a while until you do the ATG.

Tried a Bluebird razor blade that I also have for the last two days and not sure I notice a lot of difference from the Feather.

Yesterday's shave (Bluebird) was excellent. Today, I nicked my self twice. Other than that, the shave was good. I think my technique is getting better. Just need more practice. The Noxzema is really helping keep down neck irritation.

Welcome, Captain!

Respectfully, don't be hasty in resuming your ATG ventures. I suggest trying XTG before you shave ATG anywhere. I shave XTG under my nose, for example, but never ATG.

For some people, moreover, as it was with me, it can take a while to get a real sense of what "no pressure" actually means. I was switching from electric razors. The transition if anything was easier for me, I think, because I didn't have to unlearn anything. As a cart user you are needing to apply a different technique each time you use a de razor.

My mistake was going for a close shave too early. I was learning to achieve a close shave without nicks, but not a particularly comfortable shave, close or otherwise. One day something happened as I was looking in the mirror following a shave. Something someone wrote in a B&B post clicked as I was looking at myself. All the shaves thereafter have been better than all the shaves before that day.

(The post in question emphasized the importance of achieving a comfortable shave as one's first priority, and only thereafter both a comfortable shave and a close one if that's what one wants on a given day.)

So the strokes after that day were lighter, and shorter, and flat across the face, and always lathered, and increasingly comfortable and accomplished.

I really enjoyed learning this skill, and enjoy learning still, so if you see similar prospects for yourself I urge you to stick with it.

I am only about six months into DE shaving, so I am relatively new to it, but the Feather blades tear up my face. I much prefer the Personna blades.

Welcome aboard, lots of information, support, and opinions here!
I had to "unlearn" all the muscle memory developed from years of cartridge and disposables.
I had to find the correct blade angle for my face and razor, and learn how to maintain that angle and shave with NO PRESSURE. That took me a while and required a lot of patience and a lot of shaving WTG only, until I had it down.

Well, I got back from my trip and got two more DE shaves under my belt.

I tried the idea mentioned in another post here on the forum and used Noxzema on my face and then lathered overtop of it.

Then I shaved with the MR4 and Feather blade and Proraso red cream. Took it easy. Once WTG the first day and once XTG. The second day twice WTG and once XTG.

It worked well. For the first time I had NO nicks on either shave. , so I think my technique is improving. I think the Noxzema helped the neck irritation as well. Just a bit the first day and none the next.
e
Will continue for a week or so this way before trying any ATG again.
Any progress?

Up to my 7th DE wet shave now and it is really coming together. I do one pass WTG and one XTG and my wife tells me that my shave is closer than it used to be with my twin blade cartridge razor that I used to do WTG and ATG.

I now use the Noxzema only once at the beginning of the shave. Another trick I have learned is to shave my lower neck first so that the lather is at its wettest.

The combo of Noxzema and shaving the neck first has really fixed the neck irritation problem.

I tried my first BlueBird blade this week. Worked well, but the 4th shave it started to tug. I think the Feather lasted 4 shaves without tugging.

I will go back to the Feather tomorrow to see if I notice the difference.

Up to my 7th DE wet shave now and it is really coming together. I do one pass WTG and one XTG and my wife tells me that my shave is closer than it used to be with my twin blade cartridge razor that I used to do WTG and ATG.

I now use the Noxzema only once at the beginning of the shave. Another trick I have learned is to shave my lower neck first so that the lather is at its wettest.

The combo of Noxzema and shaving the neck first has really fixed the neck irritation problem.

I tried my first BlueBird blade this week. Worked well, but the 4th shave it started to tug. I think the Feather lasted 4 shaves without tugging.

I will go back to the Feather tomorrow to see if I notice the difference.
Keep us updated on your Feathers progress.

Had to go on a trip to speak at a conference and took my old twin blade cartridge razor and canned shaving goo instead as I was nervous about getting nicks all over my face and then having to be up in front of a large audience.

I HATED my shaves with the cartridge and goo and my wife says they are nowhere near as close a shave as the DE.

Did my 9th DE shave this morning - no nicks, one minor weeper, so my worries were for naught. Next trip, I am taking the wet shaving and DE razor. Won't be for about a month, so should have time to get better at this. But major nicks are already getting rare.

Top Bottom