What's new

Shavemac Regular Silvertip Custom Fan Update

I wanted to give an update to my custom Shavemac that I received this past July. I ordered a 23/46 (Bernd's recommendation) regular silvertip fan, and I posted the pix with my early impressions. Everyone commented that what I had gotten was, in fact, a D01-2 band, not regular silvertip - admittedly, it clearly looks like 2 band, but it has super soft tips, and that's not a trait I hear from people who have the D01-2 band. I had a D01-3 band bulb that had some undesirable scritch for me, and this new one certainly doesn't. So I emailed Bernd with a photo and inquired about it. Turns out that I do, in fact, have a regular silvertip, NOT the D01-2 band. My brush is actually a prototype 2 band regular silvertip that Shavemac has been working on, that I got by mistake. So I promptly offered to return it, but Bernd said that I could keep it (very generous, I must say). I've recently seen online that people are talking about this new 2 band that is possibly going to become available, so I figure that I am at liberty to mention mine.

It's had about a months use now, and has maintained it's shape quite well. It excels at face lathering, but is also quite adept at bowl lathering. This has the best of both worlds (for me, at any rate) - super soft tips, with nice backbone, and good flow through. This produces lather almost effortlessly (of course, I live where we have soft water, so take that with a grain of salt). If I were to be super, ultra critical, I wish it had a tad bit more splay when face lathering, but that's just my own personal preference, if you will. I think that the "2:1 knot/loft rule" could be relaxed a bit with this new hair grade; I'm thinking that a 23/48 would have been perfectly fine for me (YMMV).

My own personal opinion (FWIW) is that this 2 band regular silvertip is excellent! I hope that Shavemac starts offering this soon!!

3 pix: new out of the box; post first lather; and this evening after about a months use.

$SMNew.jpg
$SMPost.jpg
$SMSoD3.jpg

i like the handle...a lot...i think its the wrong brush for you. go ahead and order a 23/48 and you can send that beauty my way..

j/k

great brush....

Bernd is absolutely great to deal with and does wonderful work.
And you have a very nice brush indeed.

I still have my on-going Shavemac story to tell which I will hopefully in a week or so.

So looking at shavemacs site he has it listed as:

Pure
Finest (3 band)
Silver tip (3 band)
Silver tip D01 (3 band)
Silver tip D01 2 band

The parenthesis I added in so correct me if I'm wrong. And you are saying you have a silver tip 2 band which is a new knot he is releasing? So it should be more backbone and softer tips then the current 3 band silver tip?

Does D01 just mean extra hair?

I am trying to understand the knots as I'm looking to buy a shavemac. Thanks.

Ow my. I hope Bernd comes out quickly with this hairtype as I think it would be the perfect match!

I currently have a #177 Silvertip and a custom D01-2band with 24/50 loft and often think that a brush with hair in between the silvertip and my 2-band would be perfect. From the description above, this may seem something like it.

Can't wait. :)

Great-looking brush. The 167 is my favorite Shavemac handle shape (though I don't yet have one). Are its ergonomics as good as its looks? I sure hope so, as I do plan to buy one.

Great-looking brush. The 167 is my favorite Shavemac handle shape (though I don't yet have one). Are its ergonomics as good as its looks? I sure hope so, as I do plan to buy one.

My custom Shavemac has the #167 handle in black-brown and it's very ergonomic. Perfect grip for face lathering.

I'd like to give it a try. I was thinking of dropping it into a Grosvenor handle to save some money (I like this handle a lot), but there are plenty of nice shavemac originals to choose from, so maybe it would be worth it overall to just let Bernd do it. If he's still prototyping this knot, there's no telling when the production version will become available, but he better have enough on hand when that time comes 'cause it'll sell like crazy.

So looking at shavemacs site he has it listed as:

Pure
Finest (3 band)
Silver tip (3 band)
Silver tip D01 (3 band)
Silver tip D01 2 band

The parenthesis I added in so correct me if I'm wrong. And you are saying you have a silver tip 2 band which is a new knot he is releasing? So it should be more backbone and softer tips then the current 3 band silver tip?

Does D01 just mean extra hair?

I am trying to understand the knots as I'm looking to buy a shavemac. Thanks.

Yes, I have a 2 band regular silvertip, but it's not yet available. It's not softer tips than the 3 band, just a little more backbone. It's probably in between the silvertip and the D01.

YMMV, but for me, the 167 looks better than it feels. My other Shavemac was a series 25 handle that I liked much better.

Top Bottom