What's new

Are razors like cars?

Are razors like cars?
Famously, B&B member Bosse, turned down a free British Aristocrat #16 a few years ago. His thinking was essentially that British cars are rubbish (please use an appropriate English accent when reading this word!) while German cars are brilliant.

The British Gillette #16 was the razor I had been offered as a gift 7 years ago, even though that one was not in this nice shape. Only an equally arrogant and ignorant noob would have thought that his only German made razor was enough to shave with! I knew in my heart that that beat up #16 was a better shaver than my Merkur, but I fell for the car analogy (Mercedes vs Austin) when I respectfully turned down the free offer.

Of course, Bosse eventually saw the error of his ways and picked up (more than) his fair share of gorgeous British Aristocrats. However, his car/razor analogy, which he ultimately dismisses, deserves further discussion.

The British Aristocrats, in my opinion, are a luxury item. So, the cars in this analogy should be luxury cars. For the English, Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls, and Aston Martin all jump to mind. For the Germans, we have Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.
We all know the British luxury razors. Are there any German contenders? I nominate the Rotbart pictured below (next to a British #16). Any other nominations? What about French luxury razors? Would that be Citroen and Peugeot?
$P1020709.jpg$P1020710.jpg

It depends ... if you want only luxury and comfort, or if you want to have fun too. I say this because I have tried many TTOs ( never a #16 though) and none of them impressed. So I think I prefer performance and having fun, rather than aesthetics only.

How about American cars? You know ... those American muscle cars ...

$CAM01373.jpg

As a side note, I have the little brother of that Rotbart, with the thinner regular handle ( I know you have one too) and I love it.

As for the French ... I really like my Leresche #44, but my favorite French is the Gardette, hands down:

$CAM01225.jpg

Luxury, schmuxury, most of the time I drive my Dodge Dart-$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409537985.379408.jpg

But if the grandkids are with us, I drive the Station Wagon-$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409538067.231139.jpg

Joe Walsh said it best, "I'm just an ordinary average guy!".

After some pondering I have come to the conclusion that the car analogy is as dead as Sigmund Freud and his cigar.

On the other hand:
$dame-helen-mirren.jpg
Dame Helen Mirren​

Nah, doesn't work either as I can't find anything matching German or French... :tongue_sm

I can go with that, always loved those ducks...Pils-Ducati comparison

Ducati is an Italian company that makes bikes. We are looking for luxury cars. Since Pils is German and very heavy, maybe it's like a Mercedes S-Class?

The Germans might know how to make luxury cars, but I'm not impressed with the entries I have seen so far in the luxury razor category.
The French, on the other hand, have not made many luxury cars that can hold a candle to a Mercedes or Jaguar, but they do have Leresche, Kirby, and Le Coq razors.
The Leresche #51, all by itself, establishes France as a major player in the luxury razor market. (the razor pictured below is not mine)
proxy.php

Top Bottom