What's new

picked up a new/old razor today.

I had to buy it. It is made from magnetic steel. It said so right on the blade:biggrin1:

It cost me five bucks and even came with half a box, that doesn't match the razor.

$20140830_135938_zpsb087cba6.jpg

I had to remove a little bit of metal from the edge due to some rust pits and chips, and I still need to sharpen it, but it is a razor.
I'll have to polish it up still, and the scale is just super glued back together for now. I'll have to make new scales for it, but I want to make sure it shaves well before I go through all the trouble.

$20140830_163317_zps2c0fd8b4.jpg

It ain't purty, but it was only five bucks.

I don't need the box, or the half I have, so if someone happens to need it for their collection, let me know.

$20140830_163159_zps8739bb87.jpg

I shaved with this razor today. I nicked myself with it, but that isn't uncommon for me. Whenever I switch razor sizes I seem to forget where my face is.
I still need to put a bit more sharp on it, but it seems like a good one.

The thing is actually slightly magnetic. I have no idea why this would matter.

I figure I'll go ahead and polish it up and add it to my razor rotation for awhile. I already have a couple that I don't like all that well. It wouldn't hurt my feelings much if this one ends up with those ones later.

I'll wait to see if I like it before making new scales, but it seems like a good one so far.

I have a Lee razor. It holds an edge quite well. They were manufactured in Germany for Lee Mfg. in Chicago. Just curious, is yours stamped Germany on the other side? Mine isn't, but all the others I've seen have been stamped.

Mine does say Germany, but it is stamped directly under the Lee Mfg. Nothing on the oposite side.

It does seem to hold an edge well. I have a couple other razors that I picked up cheap that seem to require stropping mid shave. I just stop using them if they can't hold an edge for a whole shave.

I don't buy a lot of razors, but I seem to find one or two messed up but repairable ones a year. I'm getting better at making them shave again,, and at evaluating the damage before purchase. This one was close. The pitting was fairly deep, and I thought I had misjudged it for a while when honing it down.

Top Bottom