What's new

Hemp Herringbone webbing 3"

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 303

Legion

Staff member
You might want to sew it in a loop to double its thickness. That stuff has a bit too much stretch.

I used the stuff from Hemp Basics and it has very little stretch, though I did have to do a bit of conditioning to get what I considered a workable strop. I would think that the weave, more than thickness is what determines the stretchiness. Have you tried the webbing from that vendor, David?

Legion

Staff member
I used the stuff from Hemp Basics and it has very little stretch, though I did have to do a bit of conditioning to get what I considered a workable strop. I would think that the weave, more than thickness is what determines the stretchiness. Have you tried the webbing from that vendor, David?

Not from that vendor, no. But I have tried very similar looking linen webbing, and found it too thin to use by itself in one layer. This could be different... Not sure.

That stuff is most often used as reinforcing and support for things like furniture, and a little stretch and give is good for that application, as it makes it more durable. Not so much for us.

Last edited:
Crazy request here! A couple of us have a working theory that Kanayama's second component is hemp. When you receive your webbing can you get it under a scope and post pictures? Pure curiosity on my part. I want to see if I can see enough similarities to confirm the theory.

Crazy request here! A couple of us have a working theory that Kanayama's second component is hemp. When you receive your webbing can you get it under a scope and post pictures? Pure curiosity on my part. I want to see if I can see enough similarities to confirm the theory.

PM me your address and I'll drop a couple pieces in the mail. Video of strop uploading to Youtube. Will post shortly. You will be able to hear it and compare.

I don't think my scope will get you the answers. See my other post hemp vs flax

Like flax, the fibers run out where the leaf stems are on the stalks and are made up of laminated fibers that are held together by pectose gums. When chemically treated like flax, hemp yields a beautiful fiber so closely resembling flax that a high-power microscope is needed to tell the difference--and only then because in hemp, some of the ends are split. Wetting a few strands of fiber and holding them suspended will definitely identify the two because upon drying, flax will be found to turn to the right or clockwise, and hemp to the left or counterclockwise.

I bought some 2 1/2" in spring, inspired by another thread.
Found it again last week only to discover a moth breeding ground, and ditched the lot. :scared:

The 2 1/2 I found is also a herringbone weave. The herringbone might give it more structure and less stretch. Interested what you thin after rigging it.

The 2 1/2 I found is also a herringbone weave. The herringbone might give it more structure and less stretch. Interested what you thin after rigging it.

The 2 1/2 herringbone feels rough to me, I'm gonna boil the next piece I try. Probably boil this 2" too, after I try it "as is"

The 2 1/2 herringbone feels rough to me, I'm gonna boil the next piece I try. Probably boil this 2" too, after I try it "as is"

Right, mine got very soft and pleasant to use after boiling then running over a corner. After a break in period I don't feel the weave anymore.

Last edited:
The 2" I got sounds and feels "smoother" when running a razor over it. (couldn't wait, looped some thru the ring of another strop and tried it)

The sound & feel is more of a "zzzzzzziiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppp" than the "bumpbumpbumpbumpbump" I get from the (not yet boiled) 2.5" herringbone and 2" (very thick) cotton belting.

Top Bottom