What's new

Dutch Oven chili

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So, the wife told me she made up a bunch of chili. I get home from work and can definitely smell it. I look in horror as I realized she cooked it in the Dutch oven. I had forgotten to tell her, at least until we build a better seasoning on it, not to cook tomato based foods in the Dutch oven. Oh well, back to square 1. That will teach me to withhold information. It was decent chili, though.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Her thoughts were in the right place. Hope the chili was good.

It was, just had to add a little more fire to my bowls. It was my fault, I should have told her that the same time I told her about no soap and water.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's what you get for putting tomatoes in your chili.
-Every Texan

I cook tomato based stuff in cast iron all the time, and I've even deglazed a skillet with vinegar - never noticed any ill effect on the seasoning!

I cook tomato based stuff in cast iron all the time, and I've even deglazed a skillet with vinegar - never noticed any ill effect on the seasoning!

I think you missed an important part of the statement.

So, the wife told me she made up a bunch of chili. I get home from work and can definitely smell it. I look in horror as I realized she cooked it in the Dutch oven. I had forgotten to tell her, at least until we build a better seasoning on it, not to cook tomato based foods in the Dutch oven. Oh well, back to square 1. That will teach me to withhold information. It was decent chili, though.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Yeah, the seasoning is still rather young, so I am nursing it. I need to find out from my uncle what happened to my grandmother's cast iron when she died. I was in Texas when that happened, and wouldn't have thought about it at the time (1993) anyway.

It's easy enough to wipe the Dutch oven with crisco and put it in a cold oven. Then bring the oven up to 450 and turn it off. It's not a bad way to heat your home in the winter.

If you want to make tomato sauce with beans and call it chili that's fine also.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's easy enough to wipe the Dutch oven with crisco and put it in a cold oven. Then bring the oven up to 450 and turn it off. It's not a bad way to heat your home in the winter.

If you want to make tomato sauce with beans and call it chili that's fine also.
Don't get me wrong, I like Texas style chili, too. With chili and BBQ, I am equal opportunity (although I still think pork has an edge on beef).

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Owen, have you tried the ceramic coated cast iron Dutch ovens? Once you get one, all that's left to do is argue about what goes inside.

Top Bottom