What's new

One of the most beautiful razors ever.on its way!

Picked this up on the Bay! To me this is one of the most beautiful razors ever made! I may have paid a bit too much for it at $146 but I am still excited to get it! 1934 open comb, TTO, barber pole Aristocrat. Can't wait to get her clean and in the line up! If anyone has one I would love to hear your opinions on how she is as a shaver and wether or not you think I should get it re-plated.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 427
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 425
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 423
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 425
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 424
Congratulations!!

I have a similar razor in the same case. A great shaver, it is. One that pretty much stays in my regular rotation. Mine is in original used condition basically similar to yours. I haven't had mine replated, but if I did I would consider rhodium.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Reminds me of an early one I sourced in a case at a Kentucky Antique Shop back in 2007. Great DE shaver. Enjoy your historic beauty!

Great pick up! You are going to like this one. I have one I snagged off the bay a few months ago. It's not to different than the British 15. Both are fantastic. And it's also the first TTO model ever produced. Pretty cool.

Congrats -- just wait till you clean it up (Gently -- cold/lukewarm water mild soap). Mine absolutely sparkles, and it's the razor I stare at while/if I'm ever using something else (shaves as good as it looks!). I'll replate it only if I wear it out. Posted shots over on the acquisition thread about a month back; hope yours shines up as nice -- if not I'd
Go with gold again for this classic! I was watching this one...I'd love another but waiting for something that really does clearly need a replate and will go at lower $$$

Good score sir! I have a 1934, and a 1936. The head geometry is different on the two. I love them both. They are a classic piece of history, that shave great! You will certainly enjoy it! I haven't re-plated mine yet, but I will one day. Have a great night.

Good score sir! I have a 1934, and a 1936. The head geometry is different on the two. I love them both. They are a classic piece of history, that shave great! You will certainly enjoy it! I haven't re-plated mine yet, but I will one day. Have a great night.

Would you tell us a little more about how the head geometry is different between the '34 and the '36 Gillette Aristocrats? I've heard this before and I've also heard they are the same. Thanx

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409198531.970492.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409198544.821681.jpg
The razor on the right is the 1934, the one on the left the 1936. It is my understanding there are three different head designs on the 1930's US Aristocrats. As you can probably see, the '36 is taller and the head is a bit wider than the '34. I don't know why these anomaly's exist.

View attachment 488801
View attachment 488802
The razor on the right is the 1934, the one on the left the 1936. It is my understanding there are three different head designs on the 1930's US Aristocrats. As you can probably see, the '36 is taller and the head is a bit wider than the '34. I don't know why these anomaly's exist.

Do you have any info about the possible 3rd 1930's Aristocrat that you referenced? What year might it be?

The other style of head on the 1930's Aristocrats is similar to the head style on the Gillette Senator. I've seen Sheratons with that style head too. I've also seen two different head styles on the Sheraton. The other style of Aristocrat head has the split end caps fastening directly to the silo door hinge as a pin would. Just like a Senator. I hope this input helps.

As far as the shave goes..... This was the one razor that I had the hardest time figuring out. I got a lot of road rash on my jaw and neck. It also gave me the worst bite on my lip than any other razor (and I even enjoy a Fatip)
I found that I had to go very steep with the angle. My handle had to be about 45° to my cheek. Once I found this angle it shaves as beautifully as it looks.

Top Bottom