What's new

Razor Replating Experience

Back in the May timeframe, I acquired a late 1950's Fatboy and thought it would be a fun thing to have it restored and replated. Looking around the forum I noticed a few vendors and finally settled on Chris from Razorplate.com With all the good comments in the forums I confidently sent mine off for a rhodium replating job. To make a long story short, a mishap here and a hurricane there, and there were some delays. However, I wasn't in any hurry, and I tried to convey that to Chris. I'd rather have a delay and a great job, than a rushed, poorly done job. I know Chris thinks the same way.

In any case, I check my e-mail the other day and notice there's a note from Chris -- and a note from PayPal. Chris could not replate my Fatboy to his standards in Rhodium, so he replated my razor in nickel, sent me a picture of it, along with an explanation AND A FULL AND COMPLETE REFUND. MINUS NOTHING. The whole nickel replate was done on his nickel (pun intended), including shipping and handling, as an apology for keeping the razor so long and for not being able to replate it in rhodium to his degree of perfection. I know he nickel plated this thing twice, in preparation for replating it in rhodium, at least twice, and replated it in nickel one last, final time when the second rhodium plating didn't measure up. This must have cost him dearly -- and he still ships me the razor, priority mail, with a full refund for the rhodium plating.

Is it as nice as I'd hoped? Absolutely. Here are a few snapshots:
$157133873.jpg$157133875.jpg$157133879.jpg

This is the guy I want working on my next replate.

Wow, that's amazing. Didn't think people like that existed anymore?

Kudos to Chris. I have a bunch of razors that need replating - unfortunately I'm a few continents away from him.

Sounds like my crusty F1 Fatboy needs to get sent to him! I think I finally got the blade gap as good as I am going to get it!

Thankfully, I have an D4 and E2 to hold down the fort once I send it out. The F1 isn't useable, anyway, too much nickel pitting.

Not a fan of the Fatboys at all am I? :D I'm hoping for one of each year. I have 3 already, what was there 5 years? hmm.

Wow, that's beautiful, both the plating job and Chris's incredible generosity. When I get around to having a couple razors replated, I know who will get my business.

@Vespasian, you won't regret it. The pictures don't really do this justice. A Nickel replate is like $35 plus priority mail shipping, so easily less than $45.

That is a beautiful thing right there. I would send Chris a gift. If not for the work performed, but for being such a generous person. And believing in his work and customer satisfaction so much he did it on his dime.

That is the kind of customer service that is becoming all too rare any more. It also means Chris will get my business.
Vic

Had Chris replate a #66 and clean up a Fatboy. Extremely superior customer service and the product outcome is just fabulous. Chris' work is outstanding and he is a master of replating. Totally top-notch work.

Great service right there! That razor looks amazing! I have some razors I am wanting replated I shall have to contemplate this. Just need to get the funds together!

Top Bottom