What's new

Bad way to start a day.

I work at a place where the owner does not use deoderant and eats garlic until the stench is like a cloud of funk surrounding him. I have seen a coworker run outside and throw up because of the stink. Not only do I pour after shave on myself, I also soak the front of my shirt so I can pull it up over my nose to use as a gas mask.

I don't know that I've seen anyone have a full blown asthma attach from perfume or cologne, but some people are sensitive to fragrances. That said I think the biggest problem isn't people wearing fragrances, but rather people wearing too much.

The locker room where I work is very small, so when everybody piles in there at the start and end of a shift, it gets... interesting.

There is one guy who always smells awesome. He usually wears something that smells an awful lot like Fine Fresh Vetiver, or whatever it's based on. I've tried asking him about it, but there is a bit of a language barrier and he usually just ends up laughing really hard and fist-bumping me while walking away as I stand there looking like an idiot.

For the summer we've had the 16 year old brother of one of our lead hands working full time, and he detonates an Axe bomb a couple times a day. That got old pretty fast.

Most of the other guys wear some kind of fragrance, so it's quite a bouquet goin on in there.

And then there's this guy who I don't think has every bathed in his life. This guy reeks. It's nauseating. It's one thing to be a little ripe at the end of the day, or even at the end of the week (nobody washes their gear daily, we all do it on the weekends for the most part, so a bit of funk is expected), but this guy shows up first thing Monday morning smelling like a hockey bag. He is probably the most unkempt, slovenly person I've ever met. He will leave his gear near the heater on his lunch break (I work in a sub-zero warehouse, some guys like to warm up their boots, understandably) and the locker room becomes almost uninhabitable. We had to hassle management about this for MONTHS, before they spoke to him about it. And he didn't change a damn thing. There's going to be a mutiny soon if they don't do something about this guy. I have been walking 30 feet behind him in the parking lot and smelled him. And the worst part is that we work in a warehouse that stores food. And they let this guy get away with it.

So it's for that reason that I am thankful that nobody I work with is sensitive to fragrances, because a lot of us end up loading up just to mask this guy's noxious plume.

I'm ultra sensitive to smells. Any sort of perfume stuffs me up and makes it hard to breathe. I'm not asthmatic, but I do stay away from areas where perfume/cologne is sold, elevators with scented people and especially women who wear a lot of any scent. I don't use drier sheets, I use scent free laundry detergent and I don't use candles or air freshener in my house. I keep clean. I'm fortunate enough to have a natural smell that is nice, not pungent. People often comment on how good I smell, which I find funny because I wear nothing but plain deodorant. When I sweat heavy, people say I smell like steel.

Anyway, I do my best not to say anything to strangers who overdo it with the fragrances, but people I know, I don't hesitate to let them know that I can't be around them if they are going to bathe in their EDT instead of actually bathing.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
An interesting topic, but lacking in "shaving" discussion, so off to the Barbershop.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
On second thought some insight from the Fragrances forums may help the OP.

With the exceptions of the respondents (and their wives) who seem to have a genuine issue with scents (although still not a true allergic response based on the description), I think most people who don't like scents simply don't like scents. Whether it is an anxious response or attention-seeking behavior, for some reason our society has decided to label everything we don't like an "allergy." This is very frustrating to me, as someone who has to review allergies (real and imagined) and go over them one by one with patients.

Beware of collecting too many allergies. My rule is that anyone with 6 or more is crazy by definition. In 9 years I've only been wrong twice following this rule.

With the exceptions of the respondents (and their wives) who seem to have a genuine issue with scents (although still not a true allergic response based on the description), I think most people who don't like scents simply don't like scents. Whether it is an anxious response or attention-seeking behavior, for some reason our society has decided to label everything we don't like an "allergy." This is very frustrating to me, as someone who has to review allergies (real and imagined) and go over them one by one with patients.

Beware of collecting too many allergies. My rule is that anyone with 6 or more is crazy by definition. In 9 years I've only been wrong twice following this rule.

Etymology is fascinating.

As for the OP, I'd ignore the complaint unless:
1. You really are bathing in Clubman
2. You work very closely with this person and the relationship is more important than the AS
3. You work somewhere where no-scent is the policy of your statist HR regime. Like healthcare, for example. :001_huh:
4. You actually have to perform CPR on this person someday because of your AS. Then you can assume that she has a true allergic reaction that is severe.

My wife is so allergic to certain scents that she can actually go into seizures(cerebral palsy and epilepsy). But it is rare, and I believe the majority of folk who say they are allergic don't really understand the meaning of that word.

Sounds real to me, Mike. I hope it doesn't happen often.:001_huh:
No, not very. But it can happen really fast. One of the biggest things that sets her off is the little air fresheners people hang from their rear view mirror, or worse yet, the ones you can put in the air vents and no one can see. It can turn into a bad situation really quick. Like I said, it's rare, but it does happen from time to time.
I have gotten into the habit of giving her a little whiff of shaving soaps, AS, and cologne and seeing how she reacts to it. If it's something that gets her head spinning I usually look for something else. There're a ton of scents out there to choose from that we can both get along with.

I think that the majority of people aren't allergic. Therefore I apply a proper amount - ie not half a bottle. Some people might not like the scent and even fewer will actually be allergic. So I'll meet the allergic people infrequently. If I worked with someone who was genuinely allergic then I would look at not wearing it, of course - we can't help our allergies when they are actually allergies, so to carry on regardless is not the mark of gentleman.

But to those who just don't like it, a gentleman will not kowtow to dictators

I get shots twice weekly for over 20 allergies. Though I was never tested for anything chemical, only natural stuff - trees, weeds, animals, foods, etc. It would be interesting to see if I am actually allergic to any of the scents that stuff me up.

Why didn't you just reach in your pocket and pull out a cigar and lighter and say "Ok, this should relieve us both of my aftershave smell" and make them get off on the wrong floor.

I'm a everyday cologne wearer and 90% of the time just a 2 spray kinda guy. I never get comments about strong odors, but Pinaud Clubman will elicit foul looks from many people (my wife included). There's something about that powdery lavender scent that just rubs people the wrong way.

Wow, how inconsiderate and rude is it for someone to complain and insult what you choose to wear. You were on an elevator. 10 seconds of his/her life and they had to make a remark. That's the kind of thing that would cause me to immediately pick out a flaw on that person and use it against them in a very smartass comment. Some people, I swear, are just so rude.

Top Bottom