What's new

Looking to add a brush (or two) to my collection and seeking advice

Howdy all!

The attached pic shows my collection of brushes. Some get used more than others -- mostly the boar brushes. I'm looking to expand this set with a couple of new ones. Any thoughts on what direction I should go? I face lather nearly 90% of the time and use soaps more than creams. Thanks! :001_smile

$Brushes.jpg

You could try a Simpson Best next in a size that you prefer. I started with AoS Finest, then moved to Semogue boars. Flirted with Vie Long white Horse and then discovered Simpson Best.

I didn't think it would offer anything different from what I already had but I like the balance of backbone, softness and flow through. You could try one of the Dukes. I have a 2 which I love and a lot of folks think the 3 is the most versatile brush in the Simpson catalog.

Thanks, Karlo. I've had the Simpson Duke on my short list of brushes to consider. It does seem to a popular brush -- probably for good reason.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
You definitely are off to a good start with your included Omega 31064. I have used one for over 1 year and love the handle. The Duke series is Simpson's big seller; You can't go wrong. Look at the 2 & 3 and compare specs (I hate telling people how to spend their money) and see what your budget allows. I recommend getting it in Best Badger. Check BST; Simpson brushes sell very fast there.

@mswofford, I agree with you about the Omega, it's likely my favorite brush. The 1305 is no slouch, though. Mine is well broken in and lathers soap like nobody's business.

I suggest a D01 knot from Shavemac, a Thater three band, and a M&F Blonde badger. And while your spending, you would look great in a new Porche 911.

Great brushes. Given your preference for use (face latherer with soaps), I would recommend looking at a Thater 2 band fan, a Shavemac Finest, and/or a Savile Row Silvertip.

If you want to try another badger without spending a ton of money you could always wait until a vintage brush pops up on craigslist/ebay, pop out the knot, and stick in a TGN Finest. Or just stalk the vendor/marketplace forums until a brush with a TGN Finest knot comes up.

There really is no substitute for the real thing............ If you can see and handle one you like, this goes a long way, have a look at Simpson, sHavemac or Semogue.

Charles U.K

Thanks. A lot of Simpson mentions. I guess that's not all too surprising, though. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get one to see for myself what all the fuss is about.

Top Bottom