What's new

Hey Toronto!

I'm in T.O. from now until Sunday, staying right next to the city centre airport. Aside from a ball game Saturday, and a concert tomorrow night, what should I see/do in the area? Ideally planning to walk/cab it anywhere, so the closer, the better.

Restaurants, shaving stuff, tobacconists, attractions, etc. Anything at all!

Shaving Stuff: Menessentials is located on Danforth Avenue just east of the Chester Subway Station.
Culture: The Royal Ontario Museum is also easily accessible by subway. Take the University line and get off at the Museum Station.
Nightlife: Music: The Orbit Room (College just west of Bathurst). Owned by Alex Lifeson of Rush, they always have an awesome live band that usually covers a wide range of music from Pop to Funk to just about anything that will get you dancing. The band is always good.
Food: Back to Danforth Avenue near Menessentials. All sorts of great places to eat and it's the centre of Greek Town. Lots of Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine close by.
Shopping: Eaton Centre is on the Yonge subway line at both Queen St. station and Dundas Station
Touristy things: Ripley's Aquarium is right next to the Rogers Centre and CN Tower. Also, the Canadian National Exhibition is running.

Enjoy your stay!

I think it has already started, but there is a thing called BuskerFest that will run over the weekend. http://www.torontobuskerfest.com/ Looks like it is happening on Yonge ST.

The CNE is on now and you are fairly close to it. You are down by the water, so that area gets busy on the weekend.

You can take harbour tours on various boats. You can also take a ferry out to Toronto Island. It is nice out there.

You can also go up the CN Tower. It is right by the Rogers Dome. http://www.cntower.ca/intro.html It is best to go up on a clear day for a good view.

The Royal Ontario Musuem and Art Gallery of Ontario are both downtown and easy to get to by transit.

If you like walking around to get the feel of the place, it is most interesting if you stay south of Bloor Street. It is just boring if you get north of there. I'd concentrate on streets west of Yonge and east of Spadina. You can check out Chinatown around Dundas and Spadina. Little Italy has a lot of good restaurants and it is a bit farther west on College Street.

So there is tons to do. Hope you have fun!

Follow Rob Ford around for a couple hours...something interesting is bound to happen.:laugh:

Try the CNE. I haven't been there in years. Do they still have the Food Pavillion? Is the "Doggie Doggie" guy still there? Get a black top hat with your name glued in glitter. The last time I was at the CNE, I had tickets to see Burton Cummings perform at Exhibition Stadium...do they even have concerts anymore? Good Lord, I'm old.

Last edited:
The Distillery District is full of boutiques, art galleries and Mill St. Brewery. It's where the film much of the exterior shots for Murdoch Mysteries.
Kensington Market is pretty great for specialty bakery, cheese etc and just plain fun to prowl.

Food and Drink: Morgans -on Danforth again near the Greenwood subway station. Great food and they have an incredible drink called a smoked old fashioned. Actually comes in a beaker with the liquid in the bottom and actual wood smoke swirling around inside the beaker. They give you a glass with some ice in it to pour it on. Sublime.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Shopping: Eaton Centre is on the Yonge subway line at both Queen St. station and Dundas Station

It may be closed at certain hours ... which can be disturbing to say the least!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks gents. Ended up walking along the water and finding an "Irish" pub for some eats and drinks. Spent the evening wandering around the tower/etc.

The concert tomorrow is at the amphitheatre, so our tickets gain us entry into the CNE, so we'll check that out too.

Saturday will probably take us to the tower, and the Jays game, followed by some wandering, eating, and drinking.

your suggestions have been noted and are appreciated!

Morning coffee on the deck...

Out for some exploring shortly. Thanks again folks!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 20
Took in some of the busker fest stuff around Yonge and Dundas today, with lots of pit stops for *ahem* hydration.

Stumbled across Toronto Barber Supply on Dundas, and picked up a bottle of Clubman Bay Rum.

Alex, we'll probably try and hit Steam Whistle at some point tomorrow, even if just for a pint!

Heading to CNE and the concert shortly. Thanks again fellas!

Took in some of the busker fest stuff around Yonge and Dundas today, with lots of pit stops for *ahem* hydration.

Stumbled across Toronto Barber Supply on Dundas, and picked up a bottle of Clubman Bay Rum.

Alex, we'll probably try and hit Steam Whistle at some point tomorrow, even if just for a pint!

Heading to CNE and the concert shortly. Thanks again fellas!

Book a tour, it's like $10 you get a Pint Glass or Bottle Opener and end up with at least a beer or two by the end of it. I found it was super worth the money. I went with two people who don't drink beer, so I also ended up drinking theirs. Needless to say I felt pretty good by the end of it.

I'm also a big fan of the Horseshoe Tavern. It's grungy, but it's been around for like-ever and you can feel the history. It's my favourite place to see live music.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_Tavern

Last edited:
Top Bottom