What's new

Latest revelation: not rinsing helps with irritation.

So in the quest to minimise irritation after shaving, I have discovered that the post shave rinse aggravates my skin quite a bit more than I would like. I don't know if it's bacteria in the water or something else, but I found that using a clean, dry towel to remove the leftover lather from my face once I'm done has yielded better results. I essentially just wipe it off and apply aftershave. Much reduced AS burn.

Is there anyone else out there who skips the rinse in favour of a towel?

I can only surmise that the film of leftover soap/lather on your skin is acting like a lubricant. Maybe as a last step, try using a skin moisturizer or AS balm to moisturize and hydrate the dry skin, post shave and alleviate any irritation.

Unless you have well water I would be hard pressed to believe there is any bacteria in the water. My friend worked at the water treatment plant for over a decade. Nothing, around here at least, lives through their treatment process.

If you're looking to cut down on irritation and razor bumps, do yourself a favour and splurge on some Trumper Skin Food... For pre/post shaves.

I can only surmise that the film of leftover soap/lather on your skin is acting like a lubricant. Maybe as a last step, try using a skin moisturizer or AS balm to moisturize and hydrate the dry skin, post shave and alleviate any irritation.

It's worth trying, but I would still skip the rinse - it just seems to exacerbate the irritation.

Do you use an alum block?

Yes, I have one and have used it. It's the rinse before the alum that kicks off the irritation. Understand that it's not severe irritation, but it's noticeable. One thing I might try is to apply wet alum to my face first and then do the rinse after.

Weird. I find the total opposite. If I leave any residue on my face problems happen. Best for me is a semi cool rinse to get rid of the soap, alum block, wait, cold rinse.

Unless you have well water I would be hard pressed to believe there is any bacteria in the water. My friend worked at the water treatment plant for over a decade. Nothing, around here at least, lives through their treatment process.

It's good to know that. But I also wonder what goes on between the WTP and my tap.

If you're looking to cut down on irritation and razor bumps, do yourself a favour and splurge on some Trumper Skin Food... For pre/post shaves.

I've only heard good things about this product. Perhaps it's time to give it a try.

Weird. I find the total opposite. If I leave any residue on my face problems happen. Best for me is a semi cool rinse to get rid of the soap, alum block, wait, cold rinse.

Well, I absolutely don't leave any residue on my face. Instead of rinsing it off though, I use a towel to remove it.

Thank you Gents for your inputs. I have some variations to test here and will keep track of the progress.

My only recommend on this would be: maybe not the best for oily/acne prone skin. Tried TSF when I began, and instantly broke me out and left my face over moisturized. The tiniest bit would do this. However, I could seed this working on just about every other skin type. My 2 cents.

Ryan

My only recommend on this would be: maybe not the best for oily/acne prone skin. Tried TSF when I began, and instantly broke me out and left my face over moisturized. The tiniest bit would do this. However, I could seed this working on just about every other skin type. My 2 cents.

Ryan

Well there goes that thought. My face is right on the edge of being too oily.

Well there goes that thought. My face is right on the edge of being too oily.
Yeah, we oily bunch get it rough. May I ask, are you using creams, soaps, both? Going away from creams and using strictly soaps has helped me a bunch. There is, "too moisturizing," imho.

Yeah, we oily bunch get it rough. May I ask, are you using creams, soaps, both? Going away from creams and using strictly soaps has helped me a bunch. There is, "too moisturizing," imho.

I'm using creams and soaps. I find them to be about the same regarding my skin oiliness afterward. It was never bad to start with, but with aftershave balms it becomes a bit of a sticky/tacky and shiny mess. My skin feels nice and dry and clean when I use just aftershave - even better than my forehead for example. Maybe I should shave that too. . .

Top Bottom