What's new

Wedding Day Shave: Suggestions

Thanks for the replies guys. Fully agree that it's not the day to experiment, and if I do consider a barber shave, will do a trial in advance. Other things I might do is an expanded prep. Lately I've been doing a simple prep and a couple passes for a SAS. But day of, I'll likely take my time and do the towel treatment for prep if I decide to stay home.

Yeah...that should end the reception real quick! Upside? Early honeymoon baby! Congrats! Love and happiness forever!

As far as what to use, do the regular, safe thing but splurge and get yourself a nice fragrant, easy to lather cream (Castle Forbes Lime) and enjoy the last bachelor shave. Make sure you have an extra bathroom for your shaving stuff...minimalism doesn't last very long once the addiction really kicks in!

Very good reco. If I was to consider a new cream, CF was front of mind for me, because I'm of Scottish heritage, so it'd be nice that way too... And there's a brick and mortar store in town that carries it, so I can make up my mind as late as I want on that one.

Wow! Congrats!
i agree with the advice not to shave for several days before.
day of wedding, have a really pampered, luxurious shave!
hot steamy towels, full prep, lots of tallowy lather, fresh blade.
and, very important, select the right aftershave and cologne!
Forget Da Veg!
select whatever your Bride likes best! It all about Her!
Never Forget That!
Best wishes for long, happy life!

Treat yourself too a barber straight shave
+1 ... but choose your barber carefully. Don't wait until the day of your wedding to try him out, let him shave you at least a week ahead of time so you know for certain his skill is up to snuff. If you're satisfied with the results, make an appointment with him for the wedding day.

As for software, be sure to wear a fragrance that your bride likes. You can ask her directly, or get some hints from your future father-in-law.

I just got married last month, and I shaved with tried and true products that I was familiar with. Proraso Red soap, my Merkur 34C, and threw on some Proraso AS Balm.

Congrats sir!

I got married in Vegas, and I really wanted a straight shave before getting hitched.

I found a place, the shave was with a shavette, and afterwards I went back to the hotel and had another shave with my trusty travel kit because it wasn't close enough!

Congratulations. The morning of my wedding was so stressful, so taking some time for a relaxing shave is ideal. Don't forget some good music.

I am glad that you will do a test run first if you go to a barber - I went to my usual barber who had only ever cut my hair and it wasn't the best shave ever.

I got married in Vegas, and I really wanted a straight shave before getting hitched.

I found a place, the shave was with a shavette, and afterwards I went back to the hotel and had another shave with my trusty travel kit because it wasn't close enough!
Yeah, I had to do the same thing when I got a barber shave. The haircut was excellent, but the shave, I would have been better off without it.

The weak point in most barber shaves is in the prep. This guy just splashed some water on my face, wrapped it in a hot towel, then smeared on some of that weak, thin foam from a LatherKing machine. When he went to work with the shavette, his skill seemed good enough, but because he hadn't prepped my beard properly, there was a lot of tugging and irritation and missed spots. To add injury to insult, he finished it off with a generous splash of Bay Rum aftershave, and it burned like hell. I hate the smell of Bay Rum, too.

I rushed home and washed my face off and redid the whole shave with a brush and a DE. I looked OK, but my face hurt so much I couldn't shave again for almost a week.

Slit your throat with a straight razor, your life as you know it is over. Just kidding! Keep it simple and follow your trusted shaving routine. The wedding day is not the time to experiment with new setups or try that new sweet smelling AS.

+1 This is what I did. Great thing to do with the groomsmen the morning of the big event. Congrats!

Old school barber I go to often said he had a group do this. Seems like a great idea. If grooms men were into it. And scope out barber a few days before. Make sure he doesn't butcher you. He shouldn't but you would hate to learn on the day of.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
First - congratulations!

Let's assume you want to start your married life on the right foot and plan to shave every morning of your honeymoon. I would do nothing different with the wedding day shave - faithful cream and razor. Nothing heroic is needed - save that for the marriage. :001_smile

so, what scotch have you decided on?

Undecided between Glenmorangie (not an exotic choice, but it was the first I tried, And I haven't had it in years) or maybe something a little closer to home like Glen Breton Rare single malt whisky.

Thanks for all the great posts gents, I think I have a good idea what I'll do now, shave-wise.

Cheers

If I knew then (26 years ago), what I know now, I'd have spent much of my wedding day morning obsessing over the shave! As it was, I used canned goop and an orange handled Bic single blade disposable. I don't even think aftershave was considered...ahhhh, callow youthfulness.
If you're planning a haircut the day of your wedding, may I suggest you have it done the week before? It'll give your hair time to settle, and will let the "white walls" above your ears disappear...

Important Update: Scotch after you shave!

Last edited:
Top Bottom