What's new

Kelley Quan synthetic brush

Check this out guys. A friend told me these were available from Whole Foods but the one nearby me only had an Omega, overpriced and with a chrome handle that I didn't like. He was generous enough to buy one where he lives and mail it to me. I was thrilled at the news and reimbursed him ASAP. Anyway, Kelley is much better known for her makeup brushes and this is nowhere to be found on her, or the Whole Foods website. I'm looking forward to using it and my friend highly recommends these for a little over $20.

$Kelley_Quan 002.jpg

interesting. my wife keeps threatening to buy me a makeup brush to try. they're tons cheaper then a really good shaving brush (although I'm sure there is a reason for that) I have occasionally seen some members here using a kobuki brush (I think thats how its spelled) with some success.

shavesnapper, and I thought about buying at least one makeup brush for my girlfriend from G.B. Kent & Sons. But first I'll have to take inventory of the styles she uses now. If you think we have so many choices, sometime have a look at what's out there for women!

BSAGuy, you're welcome. I haven't used mine yet as I'm still looking and admiring it like I do with all my new brushes. But I can say it has a nice feel to it, and although a little on the small side, I think that will be a winner. If you find one (and I hope you do because not all Whole Foods have the same brush) we'll have to compare notes.

That little clip is also on the Kelley Quan website. A few points of interest:

* The model is using a cart razor!
* He's also bowl lathering. My experience of the KQ is that it does quite well with creams in a bowl, but that backbone is not a prime feature.
* Right at the end it says available at "select" Whole Foods stores. I don't know how wide the distribution is.

The KQ was actually my first brush...an impulse purchase one day a couple of months ago.
It led me to others, don't you know -- but I still like and use it.

I finally broke in the KQ this evening. And as Rory1262 stated, I tried it with a cream and as a bowl lather. It did just fine that way and as he also stated, it doesn't have enough backbone for a good face lather but I'll try that next and just for kicks.

I will give this a 4/5 stars in general, but a 5/5 the way I used it tonight.

My KQ continues to see action...this morning, in fact.
One thing I notice is that the texture of the lather, using the same cream (TOBS), differs from what other brushes produce.
It seems lighter, more meringue-like.

Dave, what's your experience been?

Hi Rory1262,

I can't say the lather it produces is significantly different than some other synthetics I have. But I think it is a nice brush and my eteranal thanks go to Rory1262 for buying and sending it to me.

I decided to give this little brush a shot at face-lathering today.
I had noticed recently that while bowl lathering, it will splay out, even though that is not its natural inclination (because of its shape).
It did very well.

I still see the KQ on the shelf at certain Whole Foods locations.

Top Bottom