What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat

I use it exclusively. I tried others but always came back to da Fat. So I stopped looking and went with what works wonderfully for me.

On a different note, why is Mitchell's Wool Fat called "da Fat?" I feel like I've missed some old joke that people keep revisiting.

Today i tried to shave using bottled water with MWF but again i got the same effect as the last shave. It lathered up nicely but started to dry up almost immediately. I don't think i used too much water with it or too little soap. Oh well it's back to shaving creams for a while until i think i'm ready to give this soap another go.

MWF is a fine soap. I installed a water softener in my home several years ago and have no trouble getting great lather from every soap I have tried including MWF. Having said that, I find Barrister & Mann, Mikes Natural Soap, and Haslinger Schafmilch to be MWF's equal in performance. If their is a difference, be it during the shave or post-shave I cannot detect one with my skin. All 4 are supremely excellent sopas containing tallow and lanolin and all are reasonably priced. Good times for wet shaving indeed. Cheers!

Today i tried to shave using bottled water with MWF but again i got the same effect as the last shave. It lathered up nicely but started to dry up almost immediately. I don't think i used too much water with it or too little soap. Oh well it's back to shaving creams for a while until i think i'm ready to give this soap another go.

Just finished a week of MWF.... I had been having similar problems of the lather drying out until I discovered Marco's Method. With that method it feels like you have way to much water at the start, but it just converts into a wonderful creamy lather that is thick enough to not dry out even when you are a slow shaver like myself. As a result MWF my favourite and easiest soap to use.

I don't think i have too much water on the brush 'cause after i have soaked my boar brush i shake all the excess water off from my brush and start loading the soap for a minute or so. And after that i start to add water little by litte while i'm working the lather on my face.

Will give Marco's method a go next time when i'm using MWF. Just got Tabac's shaving soap with a bowl. So i'm definetly spending rest of the week shaving using it.

Last edited:
I used to hate MWF even though I kept buying pucks lol. I don't mind admitting that either, I know there's gents out there who do the same with products that probably want to cost more.

Hard Water, brush issues. I didn't care, and I kept at it.

I got an amazing shave with it the other day. Marco's Method works just fine, but, I loaded dry then hydrated the face-lather. I couldn't believe it. Better than Tabac lather. Amazing.

I've heard the Fat is awesome soap but never had the pleasure. Sounds like a definite bucket list soap.

I used to hate MWF even though I kept buying pucks lol. I don't mind admitting that either, I know there's gents out there who do the same with products that probably want to cost more.

Hard Water, brush issues. I didn't care, and I kept at it.

I got an amazing shave with it the other day. Marco's Method works just fine, but, I loaded dry then hydrated the face-lather. I couldn't believe it. Better than Tabac lather. Amazing.

that's the weird thing about MWF - once you get it right - bam! Amazing.
I used up a puck, and from day 1, have had no problem with it.

Just did a GREAT straight shave with da fat. My best shave yet. I even changed my loading technique and still knocked a lather out of the park.

So thick, creamy, shiny and slick that I even changed my angle on my straight to a full 30* on my neck, and we're talking about a lather on the third pass. It gets so protective feeling, I can really shave with confidence and wipe the whiskers off!

For those of you who having MWF dry out before you are finished with your passes ...

Da fat is a thirsty soap. Don't shake all the water out of your brush. Let the excess drip off but then start lathering. You will be rewarded with a nice thick lather. I always think I'm using too much water but the results show otherwise. Marco's method is perfect for this soap (as well as others).

If da fat dries out use more water.

Just ordered some and excited to try it. Any special instructions on getting a good lather?

I like to grate it into the container and use it often. Even if you don't grate the soap, you want to use it often because you get better results that way. Long periods without use my result in taking more time and effort to get a good lather. The more you use it the better it gets. Great soap, I'm using it daily as of now.

I liked MWF but opted not to replace the puck once I had consumed it. Never gave me trouble but my water is forgivingly soft. I just found the lather slightly airy compared to other soaps I managed to try. Still, it gave sufficient slickness and cushion.

I think everyone should try the Fat at least once. (unless you have problems with lanolin)

Top Bottom