What's new

Creed Green irish tweed Vs. Davidoff Cool water

They really do have a similar scent. I just got a sample of Green Irish Tweed and pulled out my bottle of Cool water. An amazing similarity

Anyone else notice that?

I've never smelled Cool Water. I've been a regular user of GIT and the drydown base is a nice sandalwoodish scent. I'm under the impression that Cool Water does not drydown similarly, but resembles the middle notes of GIT. Hence the often heard phrase that Cool Water stole the heart of Creed GIT" (or something like that).

They do smell similar when first applied. Wait an hour and there is a huge difference. The GIT smells just as strong and pure as when first applied. The cool water dries down and almost has an earthy smell, not to mention the scent fades. Best way to tell the difference is to spray each arm and give them a whiff after an hour or two.

I'm pleased you brought this up. I've been looking at Cool Water for some time. Also, experimenting with comparisons on Fragrantica. For those of you that have both, could you comment on the accuracy between the two?

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Davidoff/Cool-Water-507.html

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Creed/Green-Irish-Tweed-474.html

I haven't purchased either as yet.

By the way, I stumbled on an interesting blog from a gent that seems to take his fragrances seriously. If you are interested, it is here:
http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com

Last edited:
I wrote much the same thing as you just have at Basenotes, about a decade ago. Several others there agreed with me, and several others strongly disagreed with me.

Then, a year and a half later, I again posted at Basenotes something along the lines of I didn't know what I was thinking back then in that earlier post, as the two now smelled nothing alike.
Regards,
Renato

By the way, I stumbled on an interesting blog from a gent that seems to take his fragrances seriously. If you are interested, it is here:
http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com

Thanks for mentioning my blog. I certainly do take fragrance seriously!

GIT, in my opinion, does not smell especially natural at all. That is to say, you will not really encounter anything in nature, other than perhaps some sandalwood, that smells anything like the Creed composition. However, my understanding based on things Luca Turin has written (and things I've read elsewhere in the blogosphere) is that GIT contains a bit of something called octyn ester(s), which are very rich, deep, billowy green textures, put right on central display in the heart of GIT. I've always smelled a rather acute dihydromyrcenol note in the top notes of GIT, not a million miles away from the same note in Coty's Aspen for Men. Apparently on Fragrantica a majority of users feel Aspen more closely approximates GIT than CW.

However, I personally feel that CW is a bit better than GIT, in its current formulation. It is just as synthetic as GIT, it simply lacks the depth of synthetics - no octyn esters. Also no microdot of sandalwood essential oil, or synthetic ambergris. So in that regard it is very different from the '85 perfume.

Nevertheless, its green apple/lavender/violet/tobacco structure is so smoothly blended, yet also so legible, discernible - all notes can be picked apart - that its "mid" winds up smelling 95% the same as GIT's mid, at least to me. It's an improvement because it's a more complex pyramid, with a few extra woody notes that GIT doesn't have. Yet it never smells cluttered or bombastic, like many from its time period.

GIT on the other hand is somewhat simpler. There's no overt lavender, no tobacco, cedar, jasmine, etc. It's just apple, verbena, "violet/violet leaf," which are the esters, sandalwood, ambergris, and a bit of animalic musk, with perhaps touches of moss. Still quite interesting and complex, just not quite as razor-sharp in having as many pieces fitted together, like in the Davidoff scent. However, on me GIT gets very, very loud. Sometimes obscenely powerhouse loud. It definitely feels like an eighties perfume after three or four hours on skin and fabric.

I feel they're very different in a specific sense of their respective pyramid structures, but in overall effect and olfactory impact (what I used to call the "scent profile"), they're quite similar. Just my opinion of course!

As an aside: If Creed were the type of company that made EDTs of its EDPs, I have little doubt CW would have been their EDT of GIT!

Last edited:
Ah, you are here also! I enjoy your analysis and look forward to your future endeavors in the blog. I have yet to sample GIT to compare with last weeks encounter with Davidhoff but I'm sure the contrast will improve acutely thanks to the aforementioned cues.

My bulbous snoot gets a very similar aroma from both of these. The GIT has more "depth" in that it does stay around longer (as Angry Greek commented). My wife prefers the GIT. The Italian Barber product she puts in the same category of CW. I'll have to check out Aspen now

Interesting contrast of opinion on simple versus complexity. My olfactory sense is unsophisticated compared to those above yet it detected a bit too much of a floral or lavender powder finish in Cool Water. But not to be compared with GIT because I haven't tried it yet. I am curious how the name of Green Irish Tweed came about as a descriptive association with the fragrance.

GIT/Cool Water comparisons and arguments are "stickies" in the fragrance world. They do smell alike to the average nose, but the ambergris and other stuff in the heart and base of GIT stand it apart for Cool Water, IMO.

However, on me GIT gets very, very loud. Sometimes obscenely powerhouse loud. It definitely feels like an eighties perfume after three or four hours on skin and fabric.

This is the very first time I've ever heard anyone say this about GIT, and I couldn't agree more. I'm at the verge of putting my bottle up for sale. It gets obnoxiously loud on me, so much so that I don't even wear it to work anymore because it makes me feel so self-conscious. And that's just two sprays!

GIT is a better quality version of Cool Water. However, it would be interesting to know if others can notice the difference.

IMHO, would be worth buying if it were not for the price and its nuclear power (not a problem, I'd go for the 1 oz / 30 ml bottle, that must last a lifetime it being so strong).

Top Bottom