What's new

having bad luck with my straight

So Im having a really hard time shaving with my new straight razor. being one handed it sure makes it harder and the left side of my face seems even harder to shave Ive watched a few Videos Im pretty sure Im doing everything right or maybe not I need a straight razor class I guess. I finally had to use the de to keep from getting razor burn.

also the scales seem to block my view at times

I can't say I have any experience shaving with just one hand... I still do get razor burn even tho I've shaved with a straight for two years... Maybe just less pressure/ more passes?

Sometimes when you're breaking in I've found it helpful to do 2 with the grain passes and one across the grain pass and skip the against the grain altogether until your technique cleans up.

one-handed! Wow, I'm impressed you even tried! I had enough challenges when starting, even with two hands! But something tells me you'll figure it out over time. For now, I'd simply stay with your right side on the straight and do the rest with DE. Are you using a paddle strop?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You'll get there, it's like riding a bike, it just takes practice.

Cheers, Steve

I mean it cant be this hard. Maybe I should ask a barber to show me what im doing wrong at this point im not sure.

It might be that you have issues with sharpness. What you could do, is put the straight aside for now and get an inexpensive universal shavette to work out the ergonomics.

Ya never know but I doubt it. It's just going to take time and practice brother. When you do need it honed again send it my way for a free honing.

I shave one handed also. It did take awhile to get it down. I'm left handed and I approach my right side at a slight angle to get the scales out of my face. If you want I can take some pictures or something showing how I grip to get the opposite side.

Im not giving up but it seems ive bit off more then I can chew. Theres also the fact I dont wanna slice my face up lol trying to do this either.

The learning curve for straight shaving is way longer than DE shaving.
It took me 3 months before I got my first decent straight shave.

It's really easy to dull a straight while you are shaving - I couldn't finish a shave, without stopping to strop, for the longest time.
Don't worry about finishing with a DE and don't straight shave more than two or 3 times a week until you get the hang of it.
If you try to straight shave every day, you'll butcher yourself - don't over do it.
Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Im not giving up but it seems ive bit off more then I can chew. Theres also the fact I dont wanna slice my face up lol trying to do this either.

I think there's a gentleman here in the same boat... Hopefully he'll chime in... But if I remember correctly he said his key was beard prep...

Although I have two hands I would agree with you about the need for a straight razor class. Not on the internet. A live class where the students could ask questions and get help from a live teacher.
Even a single one day session would be a great help to someone like me who just can not get it right.

Mickey Oberman

For generations sons pulled up chairs to watch fathers and grandfathers lather, strop and shave. How much we have lost in our canned goo,multiblade plastic disposable times.

Top Bottom