What's new

Whole grain Belgian waffle recipe?

I've never done Belgian waffles, but I successfully swap whole wheat in regular pancake and waffle recipes. Add a bit more liquid as whole wheat is a bit more thirsty.

You can easily just go down on the sugar the recipe calls for. Applesauce is a good sub for table sugar as well. Use good real maple syrup. Lower grades are cheaper and more tasty IMO.

I've never done Belgian waffles, but I successfully swap whole wheat in regular pancake and waffle recipes. Add a bit more liquid as whole wheat is a bit more thirsty.

You can easily just go down on the sugar the recipe calls for. Applesauce is a good sub for table sugar as well. Use good real maple syrup. Lower grades are cheaper and more tasty IMO.

I do almost the same - use white whole wheat flour in pancakes, breads, even pizza dough. You can easily lower the amount of sugar. To me, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

I've only discovered "whole white wheat" - and apparently, you can enjoy whole grain benefits with a lighter flavor profile - a definite improvement over the heavy, red wheat that turns bread into lead sinkers. I don't use sugar, so at least with applesauce, you're getting a whole food with an improved hypoglycemic profile.

I just started using white whole wheat on my waffles; you really can tell the difference between red and white wheat berries!

Last edited:
I've only discovered "whole white wheat" - and apparently, you can enjoy whole grain benefits with a lighter flavor profile - a definite improvement over the heavy, red wheat that turns bread into lead sinkers. I don't use sugar, so at least with applesauce, you're getting a whole food with an improved hypoglycemic profile.

I just started using white whole wheat on my waffles; can't tell the difference!

Yes! Trader Joes white whole wheat is one of the beat I've tried too.

Top Bottom