What's new

Foods That You Despise

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
There's a lot of foods that we like. So much so we post pictures of them here in the Mess Hall...to which I'm extremely guilty. But what about foods that you don't like? It could be a meat, sauce, spice, veggie or herb.

What food do you despise? Why?

Cold or room temperature eggplant. The bitterness becomes too pronounced and the texture of the skin is unpleasant.

Last edited:
Orange marmalade. It's cloyingly sweet but then it's sickeningly offset by the bitterness of the small chunk of orange rind when you bite into it. It's also a texture thing with the small bits of orange rind floating around in that gelatinous goo.

Lima beans. This awful slop my mother used to make called "slumgullion" that looked like dog puke. (she was a good cook other than that.) Eggs (esp poached) where the whites are still runny.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Spam is nasty. It's the left over meat at the butcher shop that they sweep up off the floor and stuff into a can.

$spamplate.jpg

+1 on the Spam. I grew up eating that stuff cooked all different ways and always hated it. We were "forced" to eat what my Mom cooked, or starve until breakfast the next day. I haven't touched it since I left home 23 years ago!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Lima beans. This awful slop my mother used to make called "slumgullion" that looked like dog puke. (she was a good cook other than that.) Eggs (esp poached) where the whites are still runny.
Runny whites can ruin an otherwise good breakfast.

+1 on the Spam. I grew up eating that stuff cooked all different ways and always hated it. We were "forced" to eat what my Mom cooked, or starve until breakfast the next day. I haven't touched it since I left home 23 years ago!

Gee... you must be hungry if you haven't eaten in 23 years!

There are a few things I will never force or entice my children to eat. If they choose too enjoy these foods, power and health to them. If Fathers are to lead by example, then I can't, in good conscience force them to eat something that I will never touch (on purpose):

• Peas
  • Liver
  • Brussels Sprouts (Although my wife made some recently that weren't half bad... they weren't half good either)
  • Eggplant that's prepared anyway other than fried

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

There are a few things I will never force or entice my children to eat. If they choose too enjoy these foods, power and health to them. If Fathers are to lead by example, then I can't, in good conscience force them to eat something that I will never touch (on purpose):

• Peas
  • Liver
  • Brussels Sprouts (Although my wife made some recently that weren't half bad... they weren't half good either)
I love every one of those, especially Brussels Sprouts

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

• Peas
  • Liver

What about chicken livers?

You guys are making me hungry - the ONLY thing I have tried and DO NOT like is Marmite....I've had Vegemite, with no problems, but Marmite?! Blechhhh!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Vienna Sausages is another one on my "no go" list. My room mate in college ate them by the case. He would open a can then pour on some ketchup. I told him, "don't eat that crap in front of me!" Vile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom