What's new

Brush shootout: Badger v boar

This comparison is inspired by the discussion after my previous brush shootout. After some pondering I decided to take on the challenge and do a comparison between the Semogue 2000 boar brush and the Shavemac line of badger brushes that I use. The reason I chose the Shavemac line is that it’s generally available and highly consistent. They are also considered to be of a very good quality by many experienced shavers, me included.

These are the three Shavemacs and the Semogue and how they measure. Please note that the Shavemacs measure a few mm wider than they were ordered. This is because Bernd (of Shavemac) measures the knot at the base and I measure the knot coming out at the end of the handle. Plus the fact that neither my calipers nor my eyes are of the best quality…

$Semogue2000-7.jpg

Shavemac 24/54 mm finest bulb, 25/53 mm silvertip bulb, 27/50 mm silvertip D01 fan and Semogue 2000 28/62 mm boar​

Method and background

I have been DE shaving for just short of 8 years (and part time since 1980) and have evaluated quite a few brushes along the way, mostly ad hoc. I have finally arrived at this check list on brush properties (which I have shamelessly copied from an ancient B&B post!). This is my strategy for brush comparisons and it is highly subjective. Your preferences and methods will vary!

My way of shaving consists of a shower, face wash to exfoliate, brush soaking in cold water during shower, cold water shaving with 2+ passes (XTG, ATG + clean up), cold water rinse and an AS. I pick up the soap from a puck or apply the puck or stick directly to my face. I apply extra moisturizer once a week or daily during cold/dry season. I shave every day and all my shaves for the last five years have been BBS.

For a brush to qualify into my den I have to consider it my desert island brush and furthermore it has to add something unique to the existing mix.

It is up to the reader to decide which features of a brush are the most important. Here are mine:

Face feeling

of the brush on my face is the most important property to me. I don’t want any scritch, prickliness or unpleasantness at all! The face feeling of the brush is a determined by its knot, loft (hi – low), profile (fan – bulb), bristles (boar – badger), backbone and density. The density is the most elusive characteristic of the knot and commonly not specified in any consistent way from manufacturers and vendors.

The face feeling of the Semogue is rough with noticeable scritch. I can feel the individual bristles of the knot. The focus of the brush is undefined in use and the high loft and the splaying character of the knot makes it hard to control the building of the lather on the face. The profile of the loft does look like a semi bulb but it does not behave like a bulb in a badger brush.

The face feeling of the Shavemac bulbs is soft and focused, I can easily control the building of the lather. The silvertip is softer than the finest but none of them has any scritch at all. Both of them have the exact right amount of backbone and density for face lathering both pucks and sticks the way I do. This is no surprise; they are custom built for me and the result of using a lot of borrowed and own Shavemac brushes. There is no way of knowing what you want without trying a brushes out! Just make sure that the production is consistent.

The fan D01 is a different beast altogether. The face feeling is firm and soft. It is a true ‘wall of badger’ and the result of trying out several variants. Because of the density and the fan shape of the knot I get a distinct feeling of an endless brush. The control of the lather building lies in the low loft and the density of the knot. This is an extremely dense knot!

Face feeling, softness: Silvertip, finest, D01 and Semogue
Face feeling, focus: D01, silvertip (pointier bulb!), finest and Semogue

$Semogue2000-8.jpg

Lathering

For me the lather building and release are the second most important characteristics of a brush. The size, loft, material and density of the knot are important properties in this respect.

The Semogue produces large volumes of airy lather. I want wet and slick lather. I have problems steering the Semogue in that direction, in spite of trying both wet and dry loading of several different soaps (MdC, PdP and Haslinger Schafmilch). I can’t build lather from a stick directly on my face because of the scritch, so I can’t judge if that would be a possible route to wetter lather. This is a serious lack of performance for me. On the other hand the lather release is very good for the Semogue.

Lather building of the bulbs is the best possible. This is hardly surprising as they are custom made for my usage. I can very easily control the consistency and progress of the lather making, be it on my face, in my palm or in a bowl (which I seldom use with these brushes). The finest is slightly better at building and releasing lather, probably due to the better flow through of the 40% pure bristles in the knot.

The D01 is again different. It hasn’t got the flow through of the bulbs because of the density of the knot. It hogs some lather also. It does easily produce an astonishing amount of very dense and wet lather and the quality of the lather is easy to control. The feeling of extreme luxury is present in every use of this brush.

Lather making: D01, finest, silvertip and Semogue
Lather release: Semogue, finest, silvertip and D01

$Semogue2000-9.jpg

Backbone

is dependent on what material the knot is made of and how the loft is set, in height and density. The backbone of a brush is important in assisting to pick up the soap from the puck and spreading it on the face. A weak backbone will result in unintended splaying and potential harming of the brush while building lather.

The backbone of the Semogue is overwhelming. Unfortunately the combination of very strong backbone and harsh tips makes the brush uncomfortable for me to use. It is however very easy to load from a puck.
The backbone in combination with the density and loft of the bulbs is exactly as I want it to be. They easily pick up soap from any puck or from my face. I have taken lately to use pucks as sticks and the bulbs excel in this usage.
The D01 has a lot more backbone because of its density. This extra backbone I use to load more water and soap from pucks. Pure luxury! However this huge brush hogs soap so lathering from sticks on the face is not very easy.

Backbone and usability of it: D01, silvertip, finest and Semogue.

Knot

is responsible for the bloom, and for the amount of water and soap a brush holds.
The Semogue has obvious problems holding water for me and because of this I have difficulties in controlling the wetness of the lather. This is especially evident in using Mystic Water soaps. Michele’s masterpieces need a dryish start and very controlled amounts of water to perform at the world class level they are made to. The Semogue boar makes this very hard for me. I have no problem at all with my other brushes in this, be it badger, horse or synthetic.
The Shavemac brushes are extremely easy to load with adequate amounts of water and soap in all conditions I use them in. The control of the water to soap ratio is very easy to maintain.

Water and soap capacity: D01, silvertip, finest and Semogue

Handle

aesthetics and comfort is a very personal choice. I use all my brushes for face lathering and this usage calls for a rather compact handle. The total height of the brush should not be too tall or it will be uncomfortable to hold to the face.

I have to admit that I am partial to the octagonal handle by Shavemac. I have my doubts about the longevity of the wooden handle of the Semogue, although it is surprisingly comfortable in use. The quality is not on par with the others.

Handle comfort and quality: D01, silvertip, finest and Semogue

Price

This is the feature of the brushes I have been neglecting in all my previous write ups. I consider this a binary variable. Either you are willing to pay what a brush costs or you don’t, for whatever reasons of your own. This is after all shaving, not feeding your family or sending your kids to the university.

$Semogue2000-10.jpg

Conclusion

I did this comparison because I didn’t remember why I skipped boar brushes from my rotation. Now I know that I don’t like the Semogue 2000.

For a brush to make it into my rotation I have to consider it a ‘desert island’ brush and it has to bring something new to the rotation. The Semogue falls short on both points. To the best of my knowledge the Semogue is in practice fully broken in after 20+ lathers and thorough drying in between. It will simply not get significantly better than this.

If you look at it from another direction I must say that this boar would have failed even in comparison with my more ordinary badger brushes, my white horse Vie-Long (which also is custom made for me) or my synthetics. This is because I value the face feeling most and the Semogue will not suit me because of this.

Of course a shaver with heavy boar experience will ask if the price for a nice badger brush is worth it. This is a very good question that everybody needs to ponder upon and reach a personal conclusion. I would recommend a comparison to good badgers in that case. I do believe that the Semogue 2000 is a good quality boar brush.

I can only tell you that my Shavemac brushes are no ordinary run of the mill badgers. They are custom made by Bernd (including the knot!) for me and my usage after years of comparing different brushes. For me they are the best brush line I am able to get hold of. So I am certainly comparing apples to oranges here as the Semogue is a standard brush without any modifications.

Shavemac brushes can be configured and ordered here: http://www.shavemac.com/products/Experts/Shaving-Brush-EXPERTS-SELECT.html?currency=USD

My other brush comparisons can be read here:
small brushes: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...ushes-shootout
synthetic brushes: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...brush-shootout
big brushes: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/397957-Big-brushes-shootout-(pic-heavy)

Last edited:
I have to agree with the OP. I'm not a boar guy either. I've tried multiple Omega and Semogue, none of them perform anywhere near a good badger brush for me. I like the quality you get for the money with boar, I just can't get the targeted face lather I want or the quality lather I need with them.

Should be noted also, that the 2000 is "only" the 3rd best boar grade. Above that there is Premium ( 830 and 1305) and Special Grade ( SOC).

I also do not agree that the brush won't get any better than that. Most people report brushes getting significantly better over time. But that takes months of use. Not a couple of weeks. Talking boars in general, not only Semogue.

... I like the quality you get for the money with boar, I just can't get the targeted face lather I want or the quality lather I need with them.

This was one of the points with this comparison, the bang for the buck question. For me this question does not exist since I could not use the Semogue 2000 as my only brush.

Should be noted also, that the 2000 is "only" the 3rd best boar grade. Above that there is Premium ( 830 and 1305) and Special Grade ( SOC).

I also do not agree that the brush won't get any better than that. Most people report brushes getting significantly better over time. But that takes months of use. Not a couple of weeks. Talking boars in general, not only Semogue.

I had a Semogue 620 in my rotation but I did not get along with it. The SOC adventure ended for me when the brush did not seem to get as soft as described when breaking in. I was probably too impatient with that one!

I had a Semogue 620 in my rotation but I did not get along with it. The SOC adventure ended for me when the brush did not seem to get as soft as described when breaking in. I was probably too impatient with that one!

Bosse ... it was an interesting reading. And obviously we all have our preferences.

But just between you and me, that boar was destined to fail no matter what, or am I wrong? :lol::thumbup:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I love me some boar! But I haven't tried the 2000. I've tried an Omega 98 and a Semogue 610 and loved both of them and I have an SOC on it's way that I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall in love with also.

My Shavemac D01 is really too soft for my tastes. It doesn't massage my whiskers well enough at all. I have very thick, middle-eastern stubble and the boar does a great job lifting it up for the shave but badger doesn't do so as well in most cases. I'm still in the search for my perfect badger brush.

The backbone of the 2 band D01 is significantly more noticeable than that of the 3 band D01. If you want more scrub than that you need to lower the loft of the 2 bander. This is the beauty of custom brushes. Mail Bernd Blos at Shavemac with your concerns, he will take care of your problems and questions!

Great read. I only own one brush ATM. The Omega 49. I only face lather and get great yogurt lather every time using Cella, Arko, C.O. Bigelo or a combination of several of them. Although I would love to try one of the badger brushes for a softer face feel.

I started with boars and liked them, but then tried badger and haven't had much desire to go back. That said, i agree with nuclearblast, the Semogue 2000 was probably not the best choice given your sensitivity to scritch. The 1305, SOC, or Cerda all have higher grade knots with no scritch.....but hey, nothing wrong with loving high quality Badger!

Interesting read Bosse.
To me it sounds like you're just not a boar person.

+1

Well written, and you gave the 2 brushes an honest try. That i simportant as everyone has diffferent like and dislike when it come s to brushes.

I have tried boar(1305, Omega 49, B&B charity), horse and badger (best, finest, super, bulb & fan knots).

I prefer the boar and horse, all of the badger brushes gave the feeling of using a sponge to apply soap, too soft, mushy, no control.

I enjoy experimenting with brushes (knots) and have done quite a bit with boars over the last year and a half. Two I have played with are the SOC and the 2000 Semogue. I received a well broken in 2000 from a friend and relofted it to 52mm using an oversized hole. The silver band was cut off prior to relofting. I find this knot to be both soft, dense and a pleasure to use.

This is the only pic of the SOC I have left. It was lofted at around 48 or 50mm IIRC.

Again, I found it soft and dense. I've pretty much messed with every Omega knot that has interested me, mostly 24 mm and above. I've owned or own Shavemac, Thather and Simpsons all can make nice brushes. Enjoy what your using

I have a shavemac DO1 2band. I bought it from a brother here on the board and can't say that I paid much less that brand new but it's like it was custom made for me. I have a couple of boars...some old and some new but the shavemac gets the most attention. I find the newer boars that I own are a little rough on the face while my old one (about 30 years old) is soft as a feather. I like to bowl lather and the DO1 is perfect for me in that regard. I use the shavemac mostly for soaps. I also have a smaller WD Firehouse Silvertip which I like for creams as it is a little floppier. I use the old boar for croaps mainly. Feels soft and has a little more backbone than the WD. I think I used my other Omega boar (the new one) once...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

First of all: thank you again so much for doing this review - I really do appreciate it!

I must admit, that after 3 months of use, I am also not in love with my 2000 - the main reasons being the lack of focus and the lack of lather...I know for many it is enough, but I like to get 6 passes out of a brush and the 2000 definitely does not get there...

Having said that, I am now really convinced, that high end badgers behave very differently and I can't wait to start trying some out!

Again many thanks for your time and I am sorry you had to go through so many harsh shaves...

First of all: thank you again so much for doing this review - I really do appreciate it!

I must admit, that after 3 months of use, I am also not in love with my 2000 - the main reasons being the lack of focus and the lack of lather...I know for many it is enough, but I like to get 6 passes out of a brush and the 2000 definitely does not get there...

Having said that, I am now really convinced, that high end badgers behave very differently and I can't wait to start trying some out!

Again many thanks for your time and I am sorry you had to go through so many harsh shaves...

No problem at all. I myself was very curious as to why I had no boar in my rotation and since it's been a while since I used one and got the recommendation for the 2000 from you it was impossible for me to not satisfy my curiosity.

I know that you also wanted to know which one of my badgers most closely reminded me of the Semogue 2000 I tested. I have to inform you that to get that kind of backbone you would have to use 2 bander or maybe the da Vinci 293 mentioned in my shootout of smaller brushes ( http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/359040-Stick-brushes-shootout ).

Of the 2 banders I can only recommend a Shavemac (about 25/50 mm) or possibly a TGN. Unfortunately the TGN knot is assembled in China and the variation between batches is totally unpredictable.

Of the ones I have in my rotation I can only recommend the 26/52 mm 2 band D01 Shavemac to the left in the picture below. It is fitted with the B&B LE2014 Rudy Vey handle but it can be had in any handle from Shavemac Experts Selection ( http://www.shavemac.com/products/Experts/Shaving-Brush-EXPERTS-SELECT.html?currency=USD ). Of course Rudy Vey can also provide a true custom handle and the fitting of the loft for this knot!

Last edited by a moderator:
The boar didn't stand a chance. Never mind boars are way cheaper than badger you compare a low grade boar to custom badgers. And only one boar to 3 badgers. That boar is obviously not an ideal shape for you. Try an Omega 10066 if you prefer smaller scrubby brushes or an Omega 80067 for a slightly larger brush. You probably wouldn't like a 10049 as it will be too big but it's an option too. I would give a boar an honest shot with something that is a size you like as well as a proper break in of atleast a month. You will be surprised.

Keep in mind I am not a huge boar lover but they have their place for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom