What's new

What are the advantages of a carbon blade?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Some manufacturers still offer carbon DE blades. Why?
What are the advantages of those in comparison to Stainless Steel blades? Are there any?

Who still makes carbon steel DE blades?
I have used carbon SE blades that worked fine but started to oxidize pretty quickly. I can't imagine why anyone in 2014 would still make carbon steel DE blades ...

Edit: I guess Treet makes carbon blades.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Jason:
Impressive research. I had no idea there were so many. Someone must like them ...

Certainly not me!

I think they are mostly used overseas. They sell for a cheaper price and I can only assume are dirt cheap to produce.

]Cheaper maybe, but factoring in that myself and a few others I noticed on here can only use them at 'one and toss', Treet works out to the same price per shave as Russian Gillette's for me even though the price per blade was dramatically cheaper. [/B][/I][/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Feather makes a good SE Carbon Steel blade that fits the Valet's, sharper than the stainless SE.
Usually good for about 5-6 shaves, also with the ability to strop.
I used one this weekend, works well.

While they may not have the hardness of stainless steel and are prone to rust, carbon steel can be sharpened to a higher sharpness than stainless can. I, for one, get 5-6 glorious shaves from a Treet "Black Beauty" in a Feather AS-D2. Repeat after me: "YMMV".

D

dwLost

Marketing a carbon blade in arid countries; I'm thinking rust would not be an issue.

While they may not have the hardness of stainless steel and are prone to rust, carbon steel can be sharpened to a higher sharpness than stainless can. I, for one, get 5-6 glorious shaves from a Treet "Black Beauty" in a Feather AS-D2. Repeat after me: "YMMV".

This! ^

I really enjoy carbon blades. They are better for my face then stainless. Stainless makes my skin red every shave.
I can get 4-7 shaves per blade and I strop them and never had a problem with rust on any blade
Wonderful blades and happy I found a perfect blade for me. YMMV

Im also in the "like" carbon blades camp. Although I find them ever so slightly "tuggy" they never give me any irritation. I'm still trying to figure it out actually. A carbon blade (I've tried all the Treet Carbons and done vintage carbon blades) and all have been the same feeling, tuggy, almost full feeling, but presto super smooth irritation free shave every time. I use the "Gillette slide" technique with carbons to compensate for what appears to be a less sharp blade on my face. Although I say less sharp, the end result is that which I would expect from a very sharp blade.

Last edited:
I recently started using SE razors. For SE shaving, carbon steel blades are way better for me than stainless or coated stainless blades. Both types of stainless blades are extremely irritating and I end up with small cuts every time. Yes, I understand the 1st shave is always the worst, but why put up with a bad shave at all? Even the 2nd shave with a stainless is irritating, while the carbon blades are not irritating at all.

I have never used a carbon steel blade in a DE razor, so I can't speak to that, but now I am curious.....

Im also in the "like" carbon blades camp. Although I find them ever so slightly "tuggy" they never give me any irritation.

Perfect! I couldn't have said it better myself. "Tuggy" but not a bad "tuggy", like a Gillette Super Bleue or Balaka carbon. Just lets you know the blade is there, doing it's work.

Im also in the "like" carbon blades camp. Although I find them ever so slightly "tuggy" they never give me any irritation. I'm still trying to figure it out actually. A carbon blade (I've tried all the Treet Carbons and done vintage carbon blades) and all have been the same feeling, tuggy, almost full feeling, but presto super smooth irritation free shave every time. I use the "Gillette slide" technique with carbons to compensate for what appears to be a less sharp blade on my face. Although I say less sharp, the end result is that which I would expect from a very sharp blade.

Perfect! I couldn't have said it better myself. "Tuggy" but not a bad "tuggy", like a Gillette Super Bleue or Balaka carbon. Just lets you know the blade is there, doing it's work.

I agree. I have used the Treet "Black Beauty" carbon blade and it was as another reviewer said "like a maiden's caress". Ironically, today I used for the first time a NOS sealed Gillette Blue Blade (carbon & non-PTFE) and it was fantastic. Sharper than a mother in law's tongue.

Top Bottom