What's new

What would you rather: Bowl or Face Lather?

Bowl Lather or Face Lather

• Bowl Lather

• Face Lather

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bowl lathering is where I ended up most of the time. Face lathering is ok too, but I seem to be able to make more lather with the bowl, and between passes I can go back to the bowl and replenish the lather in the brush. Just my results, I know a lot of guys prefer the face.

Face - exclusively. And now, shave sticks exclusively also.. which leaves me with a den full of non s/s soap..

-s

Face - exclusively. And now, shave sticks exclusively also.. which leaves me with a den full of non s/s soap..

-s

You can fix that...get your self some twist up containers, and grind those other soaps up into sticks! I'm an all-stick guy these days myself.

I like face lathering. I think bowl lathering is a loss of time. First lather in bowl then lather it on your face, double work!

I generally use creams and face lather. I think its a better choice for my wrist :)

Face - almost always.

I have a scuttle I haven't used in a few years. Have used a simple bowl a few times during this period. I guess I should try the scuttle again when I have more time

Cheers
Ivo

Face - almost always.

I have a scuttle I haven't used in a few years. Have used a simple bowl a few times during this period. I guess I should try the scuttle again when I have more time

Cheers
Ivo

Ive never tried a scuttle, but I find there is nothing better then a mug that has been heated up and can help retain the heat in the lather. Warm lather is the best! But, I think I might have to try one. They do look fun, but a bit high maintenance. My water simply doesnt get hot enough on its own though... So I bet a scuttle would be great.

I employ both methods each time. Every time I shave, I bowl-lather cream from a tube, then I apply a soap stick directly to my face and neck, then I spend adequate time face-lathering the two of them together.

When I first started learning to DE shave a year ago, I failed miserably at bowl-lathering from a puck. Then I bought an Arko stick and it did so much better... but still didn't offer the protection I really needed. Then I found an old tube of Bigelow cream I'd been given as a present years ago but never opened. Bowl-lathering the cream revolutionized my shaving experience because I was finally able to build a luxurious, protective lather that worked. But the cream alone wasn't quite...substantial enough. So that's when I married the two techniques together, and I am very pleased with the results.

I face lather but I do use a small bowl (more like a mug only it has no handles). I like to load my brushes pretty wet ( I soak them while I shower and give them 2 or 3 small shakes. Not too hard) I keep most of my soaps in 1 cup Pyrex bowls and while I load them I try to catch the run off in my little cup. I lather on my face and use the cup to hold my brush between passes. The proto lather isn't wasted and helps me from wasting that soap.

Get the lather almost completely done in a bowl, then face lather - not just painting it on, but continuing to develop the lather on my face.

Bowl. For gents with sensitive skin as I have, bowl allows me to build the lather and apply it to my face as the brush and razor combo exfoliate my skin raw. Plus I find the bowl allows me more lather control.

Face is nicer and feels great. Bowl is only for soaps that don't like to cooperate. And if thats the case then you should get rid of them!

Top Bottom