What's new

Debating a TWSBI - have they fixed the cracking issue? Or go with a Lamy?

I was perusing some videos last night on different fountain pens, and after thinking about it I came up with 2 options for a possible new fountain pen (modern). I currently use 2 Pilot Metros as my EDC pens (both fine, 1 purple leopard and 1 white tiger, carried in single pen sleeves in my pants pocket or in a shirt pocket).

I like the line width of my Pilot Metros in fine, but 2 options stood out as being similar in line thickness but laying down more ink for a darker line - the Lamy Logo (brushed) in EF and the TWSBI 580 in EF (undecided on the color - maybe the rose gold, aluminum, or red/clear/blue). My understanding is that their EF nibs both lay down a very fine line, similar to a Metro/Prera fine, with the TWSBI being smoother than the Lamy.

My hesitation relates to the infamous "section/cap crackin" issue. With a bit of web browsing, my understanding is that TWSBI has changed the polycarbonate/construction process sometime in late 2013 so that this isn't a problem anymore. However, I really don't want to buy a pen and have to send bits and pieces through the mail to get replacement pieces, or to have a pen crack and leak on me.

Has anyone had a 2014 TWSBI experience the same cracking issue? Are they now as reliable as any other pen, or am I setting myself up for trouble with a TWSBI and should get a Lamy instead?

(anticipating the inevitable "Get both!" . . .)

I enjoy my Vac 700, it writes smoothly and has good flow. I have one minor issue the cap band came loose, customer service replaced the cap. I'm a happy owner. I'm eagerly awaiting the newest model Eco to be released.

Personally, I think many of the issues regarding TWSBI, has be blown out proportion, yes they had some initial problems . Customer service rectified those issues quickly. There are many wild stories of various problems circulating around that I believe are pure myth. Would I buy a another pen yes.

Last edited:
I have a 580 and haven't had any problems at all. Everything feels very solid. I think you'd definitely be fine with the AL version as the grip seems to be the part that cracks.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
From their YouTube site... (seems their "bad plastic" issue has been addressed).

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't worry too much about cracking. The customer service they offer is second to none so if you do have any cracks, they will sort out any issues very quickly and positively.

Those are two very different pens. The TWSBI is a "classic" pen in terms of it's feel in the hand. The Lamy Logo is thin and sleek. My Logo, bold nib, writes very well.

Get both. I have a 540 and a 580 and both have served me well. I've yet to experience any of the cracking issues on either one.

I have a 540. And actually at this point, it's more 580. All but the nib have been replaced. Some parts have been replaced more than once.
It will be a great pen for me to practice tweaking and reshaping nibs on.

Thanks, everyone! I don't know when, but at this point I'm leaning towards a TWSBI - I like the idea of a wider/bigger pen. As to which 580 . . . that will be tougher.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Yup. syngent lent me his vac for a while a few months ago. While it wrote really nice, it was just big for my teeny weeny hands.
C'mon TWSBI... Where's the mini-Vac? I asked on their FB page, but no answer yet.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a 2014 TWSBI experience the same cracking issue? Are they now as reliable as any other pen, or am I setting myself up for trouble with a TWSBI and should get a Lamy instead?

I've been using my 580 clear (non-Al version grip) daily for the past 6 weeks, its been in and out of my jeans pocket at work, used making notes stood up (which usually leads to too much pressure). No problems yet for me!

I can't compare to any other FP.

The cracking issue has been resolved with the newer metal sleeves at the section. I did have the gripping section of my first gen 540 crack and TWSBI was awesome in getting it taken care of by sending me new parts and being very responsive to my emails. It now writes like a champ and sans cracks. Great company with excellent and very affordable products.

the plastic collar that seats my nib in my 700 i just found broken last night, my hands had a new shade of green as a result... guess im about to find out how good the customer service is lol

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
the plastic collar that seats my nib in my 700 i just found broken last night, my hands had a new shade of green as a result... guess im about to find out how good the customer service is lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 540's that have been completely replaced, a single cracked piece at a time. I finally got tired of the constant cracking and bought a Pelikan.

Top Bottom