What's new

Barbasol shave cream in a tube

Loved this. I just lost a friend who had turned 95 last March and we threw a birthday party for him, complete with a cake. Bill was on a mine destroyer in WWII and in the Pacific Theater. I don't remember ever discussing shaving with him but he sure had his share of war stories that I enjoyed hearing. He always wore a WWII Veteran baseball cap and complete strangers would come up to shake his hand and say 'thanks'. That always touched me, and here's to you Bill! R.I.P.

Terrific story! I was especially interested in the various uses found for the Barbasol, other than shaving. Sounds like your pal is full of p**s and vinegar and kudos to you for helping out his chances of scoring at the Waffle House!

I was talking with my neighbor, July 14th was his 91st birthday. Somehow we got around to talking about shaving. He said he uses an electric razor because all the razors and shaving creams on the market today were absolute junk. I asked what he used before, he said he used an electric razor but to use Williams shave soap with a brush when he was young, but when he joined the army in 1942 they issued him barbasol cream and he liked that better. He said he used it for everything, wound dressing, chapstick, sunburn treatment, to break in new boots, and in Korea they used it to keep their faces from freezing solid, and of course you could use it as a shave cream as well, and you could even put it in your hair to make it look nice for the ladies when you were going out on the town. He said they changed it and put it in a can and it was never as good as it used to be, so he changed to using an electric razor.

I asked if he had the internet, and he said he had never used that brand before, so I assumed that was a no. I asked about his old razor and he went and pulled out a gold Valet Auto Strop single edge razor, a gold a gold Cooper branded razor and a really beat up silver ball end tech. He said he used the Cooper razor since he was a young man, the Valet in WWII and when he got home until he couldn't get blades for it anymore, and then went back to his cooper razor and was given the silver one (ball end tech) when he went back in the army for Korea, and used it until he switched to electric. He said his favorite was the Valet razor. he then showed me his brushes, he had a red and white Ever Ready brush that looked like it was on it's last leg and a black brush that just said rubber set.

I showed him my razors, gave him a few DE blades and a puck of Williams, he was amazed that anybody still used this stuff. I got on the internet to look for a tube of barbasol, thinking I could get one on Ebay and give it to him. I found barbasol still makes a tube of shaving cream but only in the sensitive formula so I ordered a few of those, some feather SE blades for an Valet razor, and a Burma Shave brush that looks just like his old ever ready brush. It all finally come in 2 days ago. I kept a tube of the barbasol cream, gave him 2 tubes, the razor blades and the brush. He looked like I had just given him a gold bullion bar. I seen him yesterday morning happy as happy could be. I asked what he was doing, he said he just had a fresh shave with his new blades, put some barbasol in his hair and was going to go to the waffle house and try to pick up one of the waitresses. I wished him luck. :laugh:

This morning I shaved with the barbasol cream in a tube, and just for the sake of doing it I put some in my hair. That was one of the best shaves I have ever had literally a night and day difference from anything else I have ever used. Since I put that barbasol in my hair it has looked and felt better than any shampoo and conditioner I have ever used. I almost felt like going to waffle house to try to pick up a waitress, although I'm sure my wife would object. :lol:

Do you use this cream with a brush or no?

Also were can you buy it. I checked CVS and they didn't have. Only aerosol. Thanks.

You can use a brush to apply it and I have done so, but it doesn't lather unless you add water so a brush is not necessary. If you add water it gets thin and lathers and it doesn't stick to the razor, but it also doesn't protect your face as well either. I find If I just apply right after a hot shower when my face is soaking wet it doesn't stick to the razor very bad and it still protects my face, then whatever is left on my hands I put in my hair as conditioner, (I use Ivory soap instead of shampoo and while I feel it gets my hair cleaner than shampoo with less chemicals it also leaves it really dry) it works great. I have just repurposed my shave brush and shave bowl to apply deodorant powder instead of deodorant and I actually find that works better.

As far as finding the Barbasol cream go to walgreens.com they have it for 2.99 the cheapest place I have found it yet.

Top Bottom