What's new

Barbasol shave cream in a tube

I was talking with my neighbor, July 14th was his 91st birthday. Somehow we got around to talking about shaving. He said he uses an electric razor because all the razors and shaving creams on the market today were absolute junk. I asked what he used before, he said he used an electric razor but to use Williams shave soap with a brush when he was young, but when he joined the army in 1942 they issued him barbasol cream and he liked that better. He said he used it for everything, wound dressing, chapstick, sunburn treatment, to break in new boots, and in Korea they used it to keep their faces from freezing solid, and of course you could use it as a shave cream as well, and you could even put it in your hair to make it look nice for the ladies when you were going out on the town. He said they changed it and put it in a can and it was never as good as it used to be, so he changed to using an electric razor.

I asked if he had the internet, and he said he had never used that brand before, so I assumed that was a no. I asked about his old razor and he went and pulled out a gold Valet Auto Strop single edge razor, a gold a gold Cooper branded razor and a really beat up silver ball end tech. He said he used the Cooper razor since he was a young man, the Valet in WWII and when he got home until he couldn't get blades for it anymore, and then went back to his cooper razor and was given the silver one (ball end tech) when he went back in the army for Korea, and used it until he switched to electric. He said his favorite was the Valet razor. he then showed me his brushes, he had a red and white Ever Ready brush that looked like it was on it's last leg and a black brush that just said rubber set.

I showed him my razors, gave him a few DE blades and a puck of Williams, he was amazed that anybody still used this stuff. I got on the internet to look for a tube of barbasol, thinking I could get one on Ebay and give it to him. I found barbasol still makes a tube of shaving cream but only in the sensitive formula so I ordered a few of those, some feather SE blades for an Valet razor, and a Burma Shave brush that looks just like his old ever ready brush. It all finally come in 2 days ago. I kept a tube of the barbasol cream, gave him 2 tubes, the razor blades and the brush. He looked like I had just given him a gold bullion bar. I seen him yesterday morning happy as happy could be. I asked what he was doing, he said he just had a fresh shave with his new blades, put some barbasol in his hair and was going to go to the waffle house and try to pick up one of the waitresses. I wished him luck. :laugh:

This morning I shaved with the barbasol cream in a tube, and just for the sake of doing it I put some in my hair. That was one of the best shaves I have ever had literally a night and day difference from anything else I have ever used. Since I put that barbasol in my hair it has looked and felt better than any shampoo and conditioner I have ever used. I almost felt like going to waffle house to try to pick up a waitress, although I'm sure my wife would object. :lol:

So I ordered a bunch of this so I can start pickin up the ladies!

JK I bought 1... we'll see how it goes. Nice PIF by the way the man many probably would love to sit down and drink a beer with, the stories must be great!

]That was a great read! I need to find this 'Internet' stuff too, sounds good.[/B][/I][/FONT] :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well told sir! Had me a good giggle. You definitely need to hang out with that wiley old fart. Leave the wife at home, he might getcha in trouble...

Great story, and good job on the PIF. I used some Barbasol brushless cream in Desert Storm. Cold water shaving, some sort of cartridge razor, but the smell of it brings back memories.
I recently bought a few tubes of the Barbasol brushless too, but haven't used it yet. I still have a tube of the Desert Storm vintage Barbasol in the metal tube. Occassionally, I open it up just to sniff it......

And while Waffle House is one of my favorite places to eat while on the road travelling, I would never try to pick up a WH waitress. I got standards, lol.

Wow you got some story.

Ingredients
Water, Stearic Acid, Mineral Oil, Boric Acid, Paraffin Wax, Corn Starch, Petrolatum, Ammonium Hydroxide, Lanolin, Potassium Hydroxide, Talc, Glyceryl Stearate, Sodium Silicate, Fragrance, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Allantoin, Stearyl Alcohol, Coconut Acid, Bisabalol, Gelatin, Terpinol, Amyl Salicylate, Isoeugenol

Parrafin wax can make your skin really soft. It's probably much cheaper to use then wool fat....
Which it also contains (lanolin)! It's no surprise this cream has potential. Hope i can score it from eBay.
And with these kind of ingredients, like wool fat and wax it makes great sense to use it for things like a improvised chap stick, facial protection, dry hands, etc.

Dude I love barbasol in any flavor. Regular is my normal every day shave! I loved this story even more. I have to log off now to search for some in a tube.

What is the scent like?
It has the same barbasol scent to it as the original but it is very slight. It smells more like a fresh bar of soap than anything. My guess is it smells more like a sum of it's ingredients rather than the perfume added to it.

I wonder if this is a recent development. I have been to that site within the last year and don't recall seeing that tube.

Thanks for the story!

EDIT: I found a thread from another site that mentions it was reintroduced in 2009.

Last edited:
Nice PIF. That warms my heart to see it made him so happy. Not many years left to get great stories out of the Korea and WWII vets.

That's a great story. He sounds like he's still got some fight left in him. I've known a few people who lived to that age and they were sometimes pretty lonely since most of their spouses and long-time friends were gone. Good on ya' for bringing him a little happiness.

Top Bottom