What's new

Mold Growing on Black Gillettes

I placed a few razors in hot soapy water for an overnight soak. When I wake this morning to check them they had mold on them. Has anyone experienced this?

$uploadfromtaptalk1406903244897.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1406903253004.jpg

No, but I've never soaked an old razor over night in soapy water. A good cleaning with a tooth brush and soapy water will do more good than an overnight soak. Soaking a razor overnight just isn't necessary and is only likely to increase corrosion issues if any exist already. I'll bet those razors had some mustiness to them when you got them. The warm water just gave the mold a place to grow.

Otherwise, congratulations. You've discovered a new form of life. :lol:

Give them a good scrub and you should be fine.

Last edited:
I've had similar funk show up on a dirty razor or two after leaving it to soak overnight. I noticed whatever it is also growing on the sides of the container, and decided to convince myself it was actually just old soap scum from inside the razor that had leached out and redeposited. All of it scrubbed off easily, and hasn't reappeared. I doused them in rubbing alcohol to be sure and tried not to think any further about it. :001_smile

With those particular models I believe it could also be zinc corrosion. They are supposed to have a zinc-based part or two in the TTO mechanism.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
With those particular models I believe it could also be zinc corrosion. They are supposed to have a zinc-based part or two in the TTO mechanism.

Yup, I doubt if it's mold. The spots likely indicate corrosion deposits. No need to soak anyways.

As others have noted, not mold, but some type of leaching. I Would brush off and soak no more. Good luck, Terence.

Is there a way to test? Is it safe to use?
Well, in my very limited knowledge of cyanide, it is most harmful in it's gaseous state. In addition, there are multiple chemical tests that can be done to test for cyanide but this is beyond my knowledge.

I have seen multiple threads and questions about this very condition, reoccurring spots on the black razors, that is. My guess, is that it is not harmful, I mean, I wouldn't think electroplating would be done all while knowing that a potentially deadly form of cyanide could emerge from the razor years later. I'm sure other gentlemen will chime in on this who exhibit much more knowledge than me. I apologize if I have made you over think this, just lending my guess on what it is. Hope this helps Terence, good luck!

*edit* I fully agree with Jim and Edgar, use them puppies![emoji3]

Last edited:
In my experience, these spots leave behind pits in the black coating. You can clean them up with a small wire brush, and use a black paint pen with waterproof paint to touch up any pits, though the paint will not be completely permanent.

I learned this the hard way, too. Don't soak these black Gilletes for very long.

I will be using the two black beauties without a doubt. I just don't my neck face to fall off. :) I am thinking I should keep one super speed too.

I will eventually get around to posting the others in our market at some point. If necks fall off I will send them to Drs Jim, Edgar and Murphy.

100% concur with "Cap". All of his statements are spot-on. Funny thing, is that he and I were discussing this issue via email, just a few days ago.

This is what you guys have probably seen with ball-end handles (often on a Tech) when the "spots" can be cleaned off - but if the razor is soaked in water - they come right back - in exactly the same place. This is because these "spots" are like microscopic volcanoes - pits if you will - where there is leaching from the materials used when the razor was originally plated.

Nothing to worry about from a safety perspective!

Aggravating? Yes!

Keeping the razor as dry as possible will help!

Top Bottom