What's new

Tomorrow is day one EXCITED!

Load from puck and lather on face is nice. Bowl might be good in beginning though, just to see it form.

Never have heard it mentioned (over site on my part I'm sure) Listen to the razor. As it cuts, you will hear it. When your angle is too shallow - you will hear it no longer. Start shallow (handle parallel to floor) and tilt down til the razor starts talking to you.

Does anyone here lather on top of puck or load from puck and lather in a separate bowl. I've read that it can be wasteful to do so but there wasn't sure.

I do it both ways depending on what I want to do. If I face lather, I load my brush from the top of the puck in my shaving mug & also if I don't have much time to shave. I load from a puck & lather in a separate bowl when I mainly using a shave scuttle because of how it warms the lather. It's really not wasteful either way in my opinion.

Great advice. I must say, DE shaving was my weekend treat for a while so I could really take my time. Now I can do it every day and it doesn't take much more time than with an electric razor.

I have also been using a shaving factory razor and am satisfied with what it is for what I paid

Thnx for all the advice. Didn't do too bad for my first go! 1 little weeper. Shave was so much closer than using carts.

Congrats. Glad you enjoyed it and welcome to wet shaving. What blades did you find and did you ever make it to bath and body works (Proraso/C O Bigalow).

Used personnas and think I might end up liking them. And didn't make it to get any C O Bigalow yet but if I get off work early tomorrow that's the first stop.

I'm glad to hear you had a better shave than using a cart. Close shave with only one weeper is impressive for the first shave.

So I think the wife thinks I'm crazy! I am getting my initial setup up tomorrow. It'll be shave factory DE. And whatever blades I can find in town. Also found VDH shave kit (bowl,soap,brush) at Walgreens. Any tips besides no pressure and take my time? Been researching this for awhile hoping it turns out good.
Congratulations welcome aboard!

Tips:
go to Sally beauty supply, they are everywhere and have Derby blades which will be better than the walgreens/CVS brands. Derby's are what I used when I started out and I still find they deliver a comfortable shave

Wal mart has a product called shave secret. It is a pre shave oil, (some people don't believe in them others swear by them, I'm The latter)
Try it out and formulate your own opinion.

Get a good, non alchol based aftershave balm or lotion, it will help with any irritation you may get just starting out. This to me made all the difference.

Do 3 passes and a touch up with short strokes. Pass 1 with the grain. Pass 2, I go from ear towards nose on both sides continuing all the way down. Pass 3 against the grain. You will be able to feel where you need more attention during your rinse. Between each pass rinse, then re apply your oil (if using), and re lather. Allow yourself a minimum of 30 min for your first go.

****MOST IMPORTANT**** do not get discouraged! my first 3 shaves were terrible. 3 weeks later I was getting the best shaves of my life!

be sure to post a update and let us know how it went

Thnx Sho-Nuff. Yeah Sally's had the derby blades wasn't sure what I'd like better so I'll try those next month. Don't remember what blades walgreens had but they were 4.99 for 5 blades so I passed.

Congrats Dwack...sounds like a fine first shave. Keep taking your time and focus on correct angle and zero pressure. You'll be giving other people tips in no time.

Top Bottom