What's new

Noob saying hi plus a spotting in the wild.

So ive decided to go old school DE and while im trying to decide on a razor my wife says lets go to a flea market. Well of course i look for a razor and what do i spot the hot topic Gillette Fatboy it looked MINT but unfortunately i didnt have $80 in my pocket sigh. Soooo a question whats a good starter tto nothing against a 3 piece but a tto was what i saw in my grandparents bathroom and its kind of a sentimental desire to have one.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Try negotiating for a lower price. Often you can get one for less than the seller thinks it might be worth. If you can't get the Fatboy, at least get an EJ DE89 or a Merkur 34c. Whatever it takes to get you started.

TY ive had my eye on a parker to start on the cheap and to not make my wife think oh no not another Hobby lol. But i will be at another flea market and maybe an antique mall this weekend seems the kids and wife caught the treasure hunt bug lol.

Welcome to the group Dresden! As xxxvaleria suggested try and negotiating with the person selling the Gillette Fatboy. If he won't lower the price consider buying a DE razor more within your budget. There are quite a few DE razors that are under the $30.00 range so keep an open mind. I started with a budget razor from "Wally World" but now own two Edwin Jaggers.

Good luck on buying your first DE razor.

Hello and welcome to B&B, Dresden. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Good pass on the FatBoy. $80 is too much.

Look around for a good Super Speed twist-to-open. Great shavers, widely available and cheap.

Welcome to the forum! Keep looking and I would open my search to other razors at first. Then once you get started you can find a TTO.

Welcome. Razorock sells TTOs and 3 pieces pretty inexpensively. But, by all means, look for a vintage razor at the flea markets and antigue stores.

I'd recommend looking through the old BST offerings to get a good idea what things typically sell for around here. I think it will help prevent grossly over-paying when starting out. I've given away a handful of razors and have nearly twenty that still get used. I've had a Slim for about five years and a Fatboy I bought at a flea market for $30 last year. While nice razors, my favorites are a $5 Fat Handled Tech I got on eBay, a $10 NDC Superspeed from BST and a $65 Weber Bulldog ARC. I have a Parker that rarely gets used, and I think you can bet better quality for the money. I keep track of how many shaves each razor has on it. The Parker was my first razor and has been used less than thirty times. The other three I've had for from 3-4 years, and I've reached for each over 200 times apiece.

I did look at the razorrocks and weishi the parker 99r was what caught my eye when i first started looking but ive read many reviews on hmmm how many razors?lol ill let you know what i get or how many.

Top Bottom