What's new

Which type of oil do you use to protect your straight razors?

I have gone back and forth between mineral oil and camillia oil. Both have their pros and cons. Mineral oil leaves water spots and camilia oil dries and is really hard to remove.

Have also had some rubber grips absorb the mineral oil and become too loose.

Have heard some use WD40, but I haven't tried that yet. Anybody have a "perfect" oil solution?

baby oil. very light.
then silicon sleeves.
doing this for almost a year.
no rubber grips, however.
so far, no water spots.
i know that others use fancy gun oils.

I use gun oil on mine with no problems. I've used oil such as mil-pro 7, hoppes, and slip 2000. It just depends what I have on hand at the house at that time.

Mineral (baby) oil and, Clippercide.

I use Clippercide when I send a razor to another person. It is a disinfectant spray that also coats the blade with a light, preventative film to prevent corrosion.

Frank

Almost any good quality gun oil will work. Wipe on for storage and wipe off before use. My favorite is Q20 blue, but I use it on my razors because it is my favorite for my shotguns.

I use Camellia oil after drying and stropping my carbon razors in frequent use. I use gun oil for baldes that will be stored for an indefinite period of time. Rem-oil, Break Free, Ballistol, etc. are all good. The important thing is to keep the bare carbon steel away from moisture and humid conditions. Oils or other coatings that work well for firearms protection keep a long lasting thin protective coating on the steel.

It is also important to keep finger prints which contain salt off the carbon steel and especially keep water out of the pivot area which can be hard to dry out. I was taught to always wipe finger prints off firearms after handling to prevent rust.

It is a good idea to periodically inspect and rewipe blades.

Some vegetable oils oxidize and can form a hard to remove coating or even be acidic and rust blades.

Wiping blades with Renaissance Wax or silicon wipes is also popular.

I wipe off coatings before shaving.

While some protective coatings are long-lasting, do not expect their protection to last forever or keep away rust under very adverse conditions such as application on a razor that has not first been fully dried.

HTH

If you don't keep your razors in the bathroom where it can get quite humid and steamy, then you really don't need any oil. I keep my razors in a different room and I've never had the slightest hint of rust in the past 4 or so years.

Top Bottom