What's new

Which type of oil do you use to protect your straight razors?

The only thing I use, and only on the pivot pin area, is a drop or two of Tuf-Glide.

I store all my razors in silicone, moisture absorbing, "razor socks", they are akin to gun sleeves, and they not only protect against rust, they also protect the razor physically.

Don't know that I would want the gun oils on something I could possibly cut myself with.

I understand that it is cleaned before use but what if you don't clean it all of? How would that feel in a cut?

I have never used anything on my blades and store them in the extra room in the house. When I rescale a razor though I treat the pivot under the scales with froglube paste. Been using it on my 1095 custom folders for years and it works amazing. If I lived in a very humid environment I'd probably be using it on all my razors. It's NSF certified too. Smells like muscle rub though.

I've been using Wahl's clipper oil. I haven't seen anyone else mention it so I thought I'd throw it out there.
It's thick-ish and doesn't drip or ball up once applied.
One drop rubbed between the fingers and rubbed into the blade (yes, I'm careful around the edge).
I keep my straights in a little cedar box on my bedside table.

I've been using Wahl's clipper oil. I haven't seen anyone else mention it so I thought I'd throw it out there.
One drop rubbed between the fingers and rubbed into the blade (yes, I'm careful around the edge).
Now that you mentioned it, I remembered that I have like half a bottle of the stuff. Been using baby oil.

Mobil Turbine Engine Oil. Pure Ester base stock (natural detergent/dispersant). Non toxic.
Outrageously stable and I have not yet found it to evaporate.
I buy it by the quart, use it on firearms, and make my own gun grease by mixing it with tungsten disulphide.
proxy.php

Mobil Turbine Engine Oil. Pure Ester base stock (natural detergent/dispersant). Non toxic.
Outrageously stable and I have not yet found it to evaporate.
I buy it by the quart, use it on firearms, and make my own gun grease by mixing it with tungsten disulphide.

Be careful with any carbon based oil...old chemist saying, "Like dissolves like"...carbon based oils will negatively affect the carbon base steel of your razors. A mineral base is what you want, and I hesitate to use it anywhere except on the pivot pin area.

Again, I prefer to store my blades in a silicone razor sock, they rock.

http://www.menessentials.ca/shaving...one-treated-cotton-straight-razor-sleeve.html

$sleeve.jpg

On it's fact sheet it says it's 100% white mineral oil.

You shave with a straight razor in the shower?

Frank

I haven't gotten to that point yet. I still use a slim in the shower M-F, but on weekends I use the straights, and just oil them with the oil that I happen to keep handy in the bathroom.

EDIT: Someone here does shave with a straight in the shower. I recall asking about the habit in some thread a while ago.

Top Bottom