What's new

Tax Free Weekend or Tax Free Holiday

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What's that you ask? It's a weekend in July/August where 18 states across the country offer various items completely sales tax free. That's right NO sales tax!
You can click this link to find out if your state offers a tax free weekend, when it is, and what items are tax free. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_holiday

It's the perfect time to buy those school supplies and new school clothing for your children!

In most states it's school supplies and clothing. But in some states it also includes computers and calculators.

Here is another good link http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales_holiday.html

You can pretty much call any retailer in a state that participates and ask what qualifies.

In my state of Tennessee school supplies up to $100, clothing up to $100, and Computers up to $1500 are all tax free. What that means is any single item (not your total purchase) of clothing, school supplies, or computers, that costs less than $100 is tax free. Buy 5 computers @ $1,000 each - tax free! Buy 30 pairs of shoes @ $50 each - tax free!
Taking in to account that in my city the sales tax rate is 9.5% that's a big savings!

Are you ready!?

Thanks for posting this for those who might not be aware that this happens.

It's great for big purchases, but around here the crowds make me stay home on that weekend since I'm just buying for me. If I had to do back to school shopping for a family I would definitely participate.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thanks for posting this for those who might not be aware that this happens.

It's great for big purchases, but around here the crowds make me stay home on that weekend since I'm just buying for me. If I had to do back to school shopping for a family I would definitely participate.

That's pretty much what it was instituted for. But clothing/shoes, and computers being tax free makes it nice as well. I work in the office supply industry. Back to school season is our Christmas.

Interesting, TN has the highest sales tax rate in the nation, are property tax rates lower to compensate for the difference, in an attempt to make the revenue stream more broad based. People in Massachusetts can drive to New Hampshire for a tax free holiday every day. :tongue_sm

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Interesting, TN has the highest sales tax rate in the nation, are property tax rates lower to compensate for the difference, in an attempt to make the revenue stream more broad based. People in Massachusetts can drive to New Hampshire for a tax free holiday every day. :tongue_sm
There is no state income tax. And property taxes are lower. I guess it evens out.

I used to live in IL before TN and you get taxed for walking on public sidewalks there. Federal & state income tax plus a 7.75% sales tax where I lived.

Top Bottom