What's new

Hello and question

Hello,

I ordered a starter kit from Gary's Sample shop. I think I have read almost every page of the wiki, but I think I am missing something basic on my technique. I can get a good lather without a problem, so I think all the preshave information has worked well. My question deals with the chin and under the jaw line, these areas I just cannot get it BBS. My standard approach that I have built up over the past few weeks of learning is (lather between steps):
  • WTG, long strokes
  • XTG, buffing technique (found the youtube video for the example after I started doing this)
  • ATG, short strokes

I have not figured out how to hold the razor and get the correct angles on the ATG step around the chin and jaw line.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim,

This recent thread might be useful, regarding the grip.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/413413-How-do-you-grip-your-razor?highlight=

And this:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/249125-Holding-a-Razor?

The angle, you have to feel it. The angle should be as shallow as possible, while being efficient at the same time. Try using this technique ( reversed for ATG of course). The moment you feel the blade engaging the whiskers, you found the right angle.

$wm_normal_blade-angle.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited:
Edgar,

Thanks for the follow up. I actually hold the razor as shown in the second group of pictures here:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Safety_Razor_Grips

And used the technique you posted above to find the correct angle on the side burns. I just have trouble on the tight curves areas under the jaw and around the chin where there is not enough space to "roll" the blade over. By the time you do that, you are passed the part that needs the shave.

Tim

Tim, don't try for a BBS for a while. Shaving is a learned skill, and it takes a little time to develop. It's like trying for a home run in the first weeks of ever playing baseball. Just be patient and develop your technique, and after a while the BBSs will just start happening.

Welcome to the best shave Forum. Do your research. You can learn a lot here. B&B is full of friendly shavers willing to help, if asked.

Steve,

Oh, I am being slow and methodical. I spent about three months reading an hour or two a day before I even ordered the sample kit. I then started with just the preshave routine using my existing carts to get it down. Then added just WTG, managed to only cut myself once and that was on the first try. Then added XTG after a few weeks, and just started ATG this week. I figure it will take me a while to get truly consistent results, but I also figure I am missing something simple. :D

mcdig,

I like research, and have spent a lot of time reading B&B. So far, it has been rather informative, even if disorganized (in my opinion). I have about ten threads open I am still working my way through, I read a thread which points me to another two... I tend to read the thread to completion, sometimes a term or technique is mentioned I do not follow which causes a search and this starts a few more threads to be read....

Tim

Steve,

Oh, I am being slow and methodical. I spent about three months reading an hour or two a day before I even ordered the sample kit. I then started with just the preshave routine using my existing carts to get it down. Then added just WTG, managed to only cut myself once and that was on the first try. Then added XTG after a few weeks, and just started ATG this week. I figure it will take me a while to get truly consistent results, but I also figure I am missing something simple. :D

mcdig,

I like research, and have spent a lot of time reading B&B. So far, it has been rather informative, even if disorganized (in my opinion). I have about ten threads open I am still working my way through, I read a thread which points me to another two... I tend to read the thread to completion, sometimes a term or technique is mentioned I do not follow which causes a search and this starts a few more threads to be read....

Tim

Tim, try reading all you can but apply just one technique. Stay with the technique for at least a week. As Steve said it takes time to develop this process.

Top Bottom