What's new

New sample bespoke handles! More than promising!

So I get talking to a mate of my son, who is considering the jump to trialling a shavette.

After a brief introduction to my DE,SE & Straight collection we get round to talking about handles. After seemingly interested ( thought he was just being polite) he left with a tuck of donated DE blades.

I get a text from my son about dimensions and a day later look what turned up - talk about PIF!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 245
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 244
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 243
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
He's very creative ... that flattened design is something unique and original.
Very good for his first time effort, can't wait to see what else he comes up with.

What kind of material is it made from? Did he start from scratch, or take an old handle and modify it?

He's very creative ... that flattened design is something unique and original.
Very good for his first time effort, can't wait to see what else he comes up with.

What kind of material is it made from? Did he start from scratch, or take an old handle and modify it?

Both handles are made from scratch to my dimensions @ 100 mm long x 12mm OD , neck should have been smaller at 8mm to enable fitting to all my heads - but actually the first measures up at 10mm across the flats and due to chamfers is actually oval.

Picture 1 shows a high polish Aluminium handle made by turning and milling. radial notches are handed some to left then remainder to the right.

Picture 2 shows a turned steel handle with traditional diamond knurl very simple but I think less= more.

There was a third made from stock threaded steel rod but it looked too industrial and has been banished to the back of the cabinet and not gonna see too much light of day again.

I haven't got to speak to my benefactor but according to my son , the next renditions will be made in stainless and brass with what ever tweaks I want plus - he said he could have engraved the Ally one for me but didn't know my name.

Other than changing necks to have more of a bell shape and changing the length of knurl I can't knock em.

Any chance he might produce these on a commercial scale?

I think he has a bright future as a B&B vendor.

Any chance he might produce these on a commercial scale?

I think he has a bright future as a B&B vendor.

Do you think there would be much demand? These were just a dinner time Foreigner , lashed together - I have lots of ideas for other styles as I intend to maximise this opportunity to extend the collection to include more retro/modern styled hybrid heavy long handles.

What shapes, knurling, material combinations do you think people would like.

I guess the skies are literally the limit as this guys father owns a commercial precision machine shop supplying the Aerospace industry with access to CAD, & CNC machinery. Could even get different coloured Anodising - My wife would like a pink one.

Do you think there would be much demand? These were just a dinner time Foreigner , lashed together - I have lots of ideas for other styles as I intend to maximise this opportunity to extend the collection to include more retro/modern styled hybrid heavy long handles.

What shapes, knurling, material combinations do you think people would like.

I guess the skies are literally the limit as this guys father owns a commercial precision machine shop supplying the Aerospace industry with access to CAD, & CNC machinery. Could even get different coloured Anodising - My wife would like a pink one.
There are several craftsman that have enjoyed a booming business making replacement/upgraded handles and accessories for DE razors ... mer, cooncatbob (R.I.P.), Tradere, Weber, IKon, Above The Tie, etc.

If you have ideas for new designs, and access to the machinery to produce them, by all means, GO FOR IT. You'll have enough orders to keep you busy for a long, long time, and you can measure success by the length of the waiting list.

I am looking forward to discussing my Stainless designs - I really want a simple long handle not dissimilar to a Gillette bar handle /weber cross breed , also maybe something that's black!

Top Bottom