What's new

Using all the lather

For years i would get a great lather on the brush and make two passes and then wash all the rest of the lather off the brush down the drain. Recently I started to squeeze the lather off the brush with my hand and just slather it on my face. This technique has probably been discussed here before (I can't imagine anything shaving that hasn't been discussed here) but I just felt bad about wasting all that lather right off the brush. Does anyone else do this? :001_unsur

I generally squeeze the lather out of the brush for my third pass, but I put it back on the brush to apply it.

I palm lather, so I do rub what is left on my hand afterwards directly on my face because I don't like wasting it.

I always re-lather my face with whatever is left on the brush, let it sit while I do my cleanup, then rinse off my face at the end. I usually use a moisturizing soap (MWF, IK, Proraso red, etc.), and it helps my face feel really good post-shave. If that's weird, then fine, I'm weird.

I too squeeze out the lather, place it on my face, complete other tasks, then rinse it...at least when I face lather. Sometimes when bowl lathering I'll squeeze it back into the bowl and let it dry there to be used next time.

Nope, most creams and soaps are fairly inexpensive per shave(even MWF and DR Harris) to try to use every little bit. I don't usually worry about it. I think I loose more lather down the drain using the Marco method than I do rinsing my brush. To each his own! Enjoy your shaves, YMMV.

For years i would get a great lather on the brush and make two passes and then wash all the rest of the lather off the brush down the drain. Recently I started to squeeze the lather off the brush with my hand and just slather it on my face. This technique has probably been discussed here before (I can't imagine anything shaving that hasn't been discussed here) but I just felt bad about wasting all that lather right off the brush. Does anyone else do this? :001_unsur
Yep, I always do this for my last pass. It also makes rinsing the brush out when I'm done shaving much easier.

I used to try to use every last drop of lather the brush had to offer, as I felt it was a great waste of product if I didn't use all of it. But then it suddenly hit me that if I am only using say a small 'blob' of cream from (usually) an inexpensive tube of cream, or only swirling my brush on the surface of any soap for 30 seconds to a minute, then the overall usage in the grand scheme of things is relatively minimal.

Last edited:
I do one or two passes, then squeeze everything out. Like others here I find the best cream is in the base of the knot. If there is too much I can wash it off my hands after lathering with it. I also always make sure to get plenty of load time so the lather is quality and the brush is full. No reason to get too little and have a bad shave.

I do one or two passes, then squeeze everything out. Like others here I find the best cream is in the base of the knot. If there is too much I can wash it off my hands after lathering with it. I also always make sure to get plenty of load time so the lather is quality and the brush is full. No reason to get too little and have a bad shave.

^+1. I originally worried about waste, but have recently changed my opinions. The way I see it, is even if I dump two passes worth of later down the drain, it's still better to have enough for a good shave. If you think about it as a waste, please don't. Even my most expensive soaps would maybe cost $0.10/pass. I'm wasting more in water when I wait for my water to heat than I am in lost soap/cream.

I usually just rines out and go since soap is so cheap. Sometimes, I scrape most of the excess back into the soap. Makes for better "soapy water" the next mrning when I am letting my puck marinate and soften while I shower.

I squeeze out the excess, and use it for touch-ups if necessary, and then let the rest sit on my face while I rinse the brush and bowl out. The cold water rinse on top of a layer of Proraso Green (or White) feels great!

I'll generally squeeze out the lather remaining in the brush for my third pass and apply to my face. Whatever's left I'll put back on the brush for touch-ups. So far, so good. I rarely end up letting anything go to waste; it just works out that way.

Two passes plus touch-up usually leaves me with enough lather in the bowl for another complete shave, or more. I try not to overload with soaps and crops, and I do use small amounts of creams, but I seem to generate enormous clouds of quite wonderful lather. I'm not complaining. So no brush-squeezing for me. I don't worry about the extra lather; in the big scheme of things, it's nugatory.

i use the squeezed out lather for touch ups. i once read here in this forum from one member, who on a regular basis, returns the squeezed out lather back to the tub/container.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I have squeezed lather out of the brush but not often. Depends on what brush, soap or cream I'm using and how well I make my lather.

i once read here in this forum from one member, who on a regular basis, returns the squeezed out lather back to the tub/container.

I often do this when I've loaded from a puck. Lately I've been face-loading Arko stick and face-lathering so there's no container.

Top Bottom