What's new

My understanding of dress shoes

After doing a bunch of reading and researching over the last month or so, I think that I now have a basic understanding of dress shoes. I was typing some of this in response to someone's question, but thought about posting this as a general introduction.

Obviously, feel free to correct anything inaccurate, or add anything useful.

My understanding of dress shoes is that there are corrected grain/synthetic soled shoes, full grain/synthetic soled shoes, and full grain/leather soled shoes. I haven't seen corrected grain/leather soled shoes, although that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Corrected grain leather is flawed leather that has been sanded and then coated with wax/polymer to hide the imperfections. As such, it is of lower quality and will not last. Full thickness leather is better than corrected grain, but within that definition comes in various grades of quality. Shoes that do not specify full grain leather are probably corrected grain. Full grain leather, if of good quality, can last for decades.

Synthetic soles may or may not be more comfortable than leather soles. Leather shoes with synthetic soles are (always?) glued to the sole, so they are generally not re-soleable. Leather soled shoes can be resoled. Examples of leather being stitched to soles would be Goodyear and Blake (and there are probably more).

To buy a pair of full grain, leather soled shoes (especially higher quality full grain leather) means either buying shoes over $200ish at least, buying factory seconds at Allen Edmonds, buying used shoes, or buying shoes from one of a few newer merchants who are trying to produce "full grain leather soled shoes" at a lower price point.

The "lower price point" vendors include Jack Erwin, John Doe, Beckett Simonon, and Just a Men Shoe. Shoes range from roughly $100-200. The quality, and customer service, from these vendors is variable from what I've read. My understanding is that you aren't going to get an Allen Edmonds quality shoe at half the price, but they are an option.

In short, my understanding of different price points for (new) shoes -

< $100 - corrected grain, synthetic sole shoes from various vendors. Think of them as "disposable" shoes.

$100-200 - a mishmash of full grain and corrected grain shoes with synthetic and leather soles. The above "lower price point" vendors would be options, an Allen Edmonds second from Shoebank on a deep discount, or vendors selling corrected grain or synthetic soled shoes. Manufacturers who have outsourced manufacturing may also fall here. I'd think that people more knowledgeable than I would generally recommend Allen Edmonds seconds, used shoes, or saving up for the next tier. I'm personally experimenting with a pair of Jack Erwins which are in the mail as we speak.

> $200 - If you're spending this much, I'd think that you darn well better be getting a full grain, leather soled, high quality shoe. There are a bunch of options (Allen Edmonds, Alden, Church's, Moreschi, . . . since most of these are out of my price range I'll really just stick with Allen Edmonds as I know nothing about the other names other than that some people highly recommend them) from the $200's up to really ridiculous prices.

I hope that this is helpful. Enjoy!

Synthetic soles may or may not be more comfortable than leather soles. Leather shoes with synthetic soles are (always?) glued to the sole, so they are generally not re-soleable. Leather soled shoes can be resoled. Examples of leather being stitched to soles would be Goodyear and Blake (and there are probably more).

I would strongly disagree about leather shoes with synthetic soles are always cheap and unrepairable! I have several pairs of high quality bench made Trickers, Cheaney, Sargent etc shoes with synthetic soles all constructed with Goodyear welts and completely repairable.

They do cost more though but will last a lifetime if looked after.

Gareth

I would strongly disagree about leather shoes with synthetic soles are always cheap and unrepairable! I have several pairs of high quality bench made Trickers, Cheaney, Sargent etc shoes with synthetic soles all constructed with Goodyear welts and completely repairable.

Hmm . . . so how does one determine if a full grain leather/synthetic soled shoe is re-soleable? Goodyear/Blake/other welting instead of being glued? I'm also curious as to how much these cost.

Yeah, you shouldn't make generalizations based on the soles of the shoes. Higher end makers still make synthetic soled shoes that are made with top quality leather, top quality construction, and as you might suspect, top quality synthetic soles. Leather soles are only about 1.) Feel and 2.) Formality. If you have a pair of wingtips that you use in poor weather, then having a danite or other high quality rubber sole is a good thing and a mark of quality.

Furthermore, it's again improper to assume that "leather sole = recraftable". There are plenty of glued, non-recraftable leather-soled shoes. A shoe is made of many components, and constructed from many methods. It all comes down to looking for the qualities you want, at the price point you want. One should never purchase quality footwear based on generalizations.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hmm . . . so how does one determine if a full grain leather/synthetic soled shoe is re-soleable? Goodyear/Blake/other welting instead of being glued? I'm also curious as to how much these cost.

Mainly, you look to see if it's goodyear welted &c. Those can be re-soled regardless of what material is used for the sole. The rubber sole will usually outlast the leather one by a significant margin, and usually offer better traction too, so it's much better for rougher conditions, like if you will be doing a lot of outdoor walking.

I think synthetic soles, Dainite or Commando soles are an essential edition to ones wardrobe. Especially in the UK, or anywhere where the weather can be unpredictable. I haven't had mine long enough to need resoling though. I'm wondering - is it possible to just buy replacement soles to take them to my local family run cobblers. Or do the manufacturers only replace them on site, if you know what I mean?

There is definitely something to be said for the Blake welt. I like the very closely cut sole and, I suspect because of fewer layers in the sole, find them to be very comfortable. And they can be resoled if you can find a cobbler with a Blake resoling machine.

You won't get a pair of dress shoes for less than 500 large. I have A&E that I bought in the late 60s that are going strong but they were bought out in 2006 & have went downhill. I also use Alden, which are still going strong since the late 60s. A great pair of dress shoe with care should last you forever.

I got my AE Park Avenues and Fifth Avenues for well under $500. They seem okay to me. That said, I do not have 50 years on them or me yet.

It's ok, greyson has a beef against AE. They're not the best shoe ever, but they're a solid choice for the $200-300 range. Specifically for their Park Ave/Mcallister/Strand/Dalton/5th Ave line. If you can spend more, obviously go for it. If your budget has you looking at sub $400 shoes, then AE is your solid choice.

I don't have a beef against A&E. I just hate to see a company that at one time was one of the best shoe company's in the U.S. get bought out and the quality go to hell. The same happen to several other shoe company's.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The recent and not-too-recent decline of AE quality ... and the quality of a few other brands ... is well-discussed over the internet, is a common source of discomfort among lovers of great American-made dress shoes, and not something that only GHR gets worked up about.

While I would disagree with a blanket statement about "not getting a pair of dress shoes for less than $500" ... I do think that draws us around to the fact that it's hard to find well-build, stylish dress shoes for less than $500 or so. When you get used to the "good stuff", going back to the inexpensive stuff everyone can afford can seem quite a let-down. After your brother lets you drive his new Lexus for a few days, going back to your 8-year-old Corolla is going to be a bummer.

Top Bottom