What's new

Single use from blades

I will have to give a blade a second and third try then. Most folks are telling me those could be the best shaves. ( I'm not too proud to learn from the voices of experience.)

I'm in the 5-6 shaves on a blade club. I've never understood the "use once" and toss method. I find that the bl;ade is at the sweet spot on shave 2-3. I guess to each his own.

For me the number of shaves depends on which particular blade I'm using. I can get at least 2 shaves from all the blades that I use like derby and rapira. Some blades such as med preps and 7 o clock blacks give me 4 shaves.

I agree with the post above...blades feel best from shave #2 thru #5.
Same here - I always run for 7 days and switch every Saturday morning and I often get the best BBS around shave 5-6.
Much of the enjoyment of shaving the correct way is following a routine. The very act of carrying out the same steps for each shave is restorative and calming. And always shaving for 7 days has the same quality to me - perhaps getting a slightly rougher shave on a Thursday or Friday is made perfectly acceptable for the very reason that you know Saturday sees a new blade and thus some super efficient mowing.
And I mostly use one brand of blade, razor, brush and choose one soap for weekdays (proraso in summer, stick or palmyra otherwise) and luxuriate in MdC for the two weekend shaves.
Each to his own of course, but that's my take.

Last edited:
Agree completely with most replies indicating that shaves two and three are AWESOME with my Lab Blues and Astras. Quality seems to drop off for me after the 4th shave, though I like to change blades on the same day of the week as others have stated.

3-5 shaves typically from my blades (Feather & Polsilver SI the higher end). Carbon blade 2

Rapira give me typically 2 shaves.

I use Feather blades and use them six to seven times. (always change the blade on Monday morning...)

First shave is great and the second shave is a bit rougher. I used to pitch the blade after the second shave because I assumed the blade would be worse on the third shave.

Joined a group of us that decided to stretch our use of a single blade. I found the third shave to be the best of all. Shaves four through seven were all great. Someone here postulated that the coating used on the Feather blade wears unevenly and that causes the less than perfect feel of the second shave. By the third shave the coating is evened out and things are back to "normal". Personally, I haven't a clue. (I kept that blade going for over a dozen shaves. The last two had some tugging and I dropped out of that backwards race.)

Remember: YMMV

As others have already mentioned it all depends upon the blade and what areas you are shaving. If you just shave your face DE blades will last longer. If you shave your head you will get less usage from that razor blade. I try to get at least 3 shaves out of each razor blade as a general guideline. But every blade is unique and may or may not lend itself to 3 or more facial shaves. My current favorite razor blade is Astra SP. It does an excellent job but we all have our favorites.

Top Bottom