What's new

Single use from blades

Does everybody go for multiple-shaves from blades? I think they are cheap enough, that I only have to use once, especially if I have a multiple days growth.

Now that my technique is getting better, I am having more DF/BB shaves, even with blades I didn't like in the beginning.:001_smile

If Im shaving with a few days growth I find the razor will only last through the one shave, I ususally use a feather in this case. Whereas if Im shaving everyday, I will get a good 3 or 4 shaves with a blade. With some blades the best shave is the 2nd or 3rd shave, which I find with the Gillette Yellow for example.

In my opinion blades always feels smoother on my skin after the first shave. All of my blades last 3-7 shaves with no issues (depending on the brand/type) even when mowing down a 2 day growth.

One shave for every blade. That's why I favour cheap blades.

It ends up costing me $26/year to have a fresh blade every single day.

I like to stretch them. I just stopped using my GSB after 12 shaves on it. I shave once. at most twice a week. On shave 12 it still provided a wonderfull shave, no nicks or cuts. I simply was really itching to try out some new blades. (plus my blade usage dice is a 12 sided dice so I figured it was time.) I would like to see how far I can go. at only once or twice a week that one blade lasted me a couple months. Its worth it to buy more expensive blades that will last months (in my case). it ends up being cheaper in the long run. I also agree that almost all blades (accept maybe feathers) are not their best shae the first shave.
MO

I agree with some what others have noted above, that shaves 2-3 are better than shave 1. Particularly with Astra blades.

I also agree - people who throw away after one shave are most likely missing out on the smoothest shaves all the time.

I also agree - people who throw away after one shave are most likely missing out on the smoothest shaves all the time.

Yep. Agreed. Even if you consider a blade to be cheap I see no reason to throw away a perfectly good blade that is performing properly.

I use every blade 3 times and then toss it. Yes they are cheap, but I find that shaves 2-3 are as good or even better than the first. I won't push past three due to the cheapness. I mean it isn't like a cartridge where they are expensive enough that you want to stretch them past their optimal performance level.

It has nothing to do with the cost of a blade. It's simply easier and quicker to rinse a blade and put the razor aside for the next shave than it is to replace a blade, particularly if I know the next shave on that blade will still be excellent. Yes, I realize that switching blades does not take that much time, but it does take more time than just rinsing.

FWIW, I routinely toss each blade after two uses. Some blades, especially ones with some kind of coating, seem to be even better on the second shave than the first. After that, as the OP points out, they are cheap enough, so I figure there is no point in risking an inferior shave.

I couldn't really pitch a blade, knowing it's got lots of life left. I get 20-30 great shaves (or more) from most blades. No reason to pitch early.

Last edited:
4 shaves not a problem depending on the blade. Lord classic usually.

Derby, not even one they don't agree with me.

Top Bottom