What's new

Great books you've never read.

Kinda wondering how I would know if it's a great book if I haven't read it? Does my opinion count? :001_smile I like people like Jack London and Hemingway, have read everything of theirs I can get my hands on and most of it several times. Tolkien is okay but I never read his stuff twice, once was enough. I will never read "War and Peace", that book sucks.

I don't think that I could read "War and Peace." I'm sure that it is a quite an accomplishment but that is taking on quite a challenge. I have read the complete works of "Sherlock Holmes" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I have also read most of the works of William Shakespeare. My late Dad was a lifelong teacher & librarian. He had the complete works of many authors. I probably have read alot of authors growing up. Now I'm not the most active reader. I should read more often.

I read the first 300 pages of War and Peace and then quit. So many characters with similar names....its tough to follow. I know there is a book that helps you keep track of the characters in the book....a Guide if you will. I don't want to read a book that needs a book to explain it

Another book I would find a challenge to read is the poem "Paradise Lost" by John Milton. That is long ponderous poem that I would find a challenge to read. I have to find some elements of the book motivating to complete any book I read. John Milton is not the most readable person so I don't see myself reading this either.

BTW, if you curious "War and Peace" is available as a free eBook download if you feel motivated to try and read this book.

Last edited:
I've never read (in its entirety) Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations". A great book? Based on the excerpts I have read, yes. Also a very important book.

Another great book (based on excerpts which I have read) which is as yet unread by me is Dante's "Divine Comedy".

I have read "War and Peace". Not so great as several of Dostoevsky's works, in my opinion.

Many years ago I once or twice considered trying to reading Dante's "Divine Comedy." Never quite found the motivation to so all the same. There are so many great works that should be read and enjoyed. Maybe we could start in impromptu book club. Anyone else possibly interested in such an suggestion? If so, what should be the first book we should read? Suggestions?

I'm not sure if this is 100% applicable but I just this spring read The Old Man & The Sea and it truly did resonate with me. I've been going through some tough times and although a quick read it kind of grounded me. Helped me realize what's important, how ridiculous so many of the things I worry about truly are, and just about the value of general perseverance. It's so much more about what you've done to get where you are and how you've handled yourself, so much less so about where exactly you've ended up, or what you've ended up with. I feel like the only man who hadn't read it but it truly was as good as I'd heard.

There are a number of "classics" that sit unread on my list.

We read some Shakespeare in high school, but I feel that I need to revisit a few and read others for the first time.

My wife has been on a Jane Austin kick recently. I know it's good literature, and have even watched the 1980 BBC 5 part production of Pride and Prejudice. She says it's pretty much spot on to the book. I just keep finding other things to read.

Others would include:
All of Hemmingway's works
Dracula
100 years of solitude
siddhartha
The republic
The picture of Dorian gray
Walden
The Devine comedy

I made it half way through Atlas Shrugged but gave up.

I'd certainly be down for a book club.

I tried to read Plutarch's Parallel Lives, but gave up, pretty quick. :laugh:

My wife and I tried reading, out loud, with each other, The Agony And The Ecstasy.......but, although we laughed (at ourselves) quite a bit, we quit less than 20 pages in.

BTW, I read Dracula once a year. I've always enjoyed reading that book. It is so much more enjoyable than any movie version of the book.

Everything by Jane Austen, the Brontes and Henry James. Newton's "Principia". Tried and failed with Dante's Inferno. De Toquevilles "Democracy in America". T.S. Eliot's Quartets. Nothing by Dos Passos. "Remembrance of Things Past"-another try and fail.

Many, many more great ones that I'll never get to.

There are a number of "classics" that sit unread on my list.

We read some Shakespeare in high school, but I feel that I need to revisit a few and read others for the first time.

My wife has been on a Jane Austin kick recently. I know it's good literature, and have even watched the 1980 BBC 5 part production of Pride and Prejudice. She says it's pretty much spot on to the book. I just keep finding other things to read.

Others would include:
All of Hemmingway's works
Dracula
100 years of solitude
siddhartha
The republic
The picture of Dorian gray
Walden
The Devine comedy

I made it half way through Atlas Shrugged but gave up.

I'd certainly be down for a book club.

I've actually read both "Ulysses" and "A Brief History of Time" within the past couple of years. I live the "Devine" comedy every day. A few I'd like to read but haven't yet are "The Iliad", "The Odyssey" and Whitacre Chamber's "Witness".

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I bought a hardcover Gone With The Wind for $8 at an antique store. I'll read it one day.

Top Bottom