What's new

which razors are made of brass/stainless

With the recent threads on zinc /zamac heads and my de razor addiction kicking in, I thought it would be nice if we could have a list razors with heads made of brass or stainless.

A few months ago I broke the threaded portion off the cap of a Parker 91R. It was NOT brass as I had previously read in ads but looked like Zamac. Could be the remaining parts are brass but I won't be finding out.

A few months ago I broke the threaded portion off the cap of a Parker 91R. It was NOT brass as I had previously read in ads but looked like Zamac. Could be the remaining parts are brass but I won't be finding out.

I should have said TTOs ... I think the TTOs are all brass, but can't say it for sure. Never had one anyway.

Think you forgot one, Ed!

No, I didn't ...

Ikon is not a razor! :tongue_sm
$images.jpg

Stainless Steel:

PILS
WEBER
ATT
TRADERE

Brass:

FaTIP
GILLETTE
Weishi
PARKER ???

I like the idea of a list. And I'll expand the Stainless Steel Section....

Uncoated/Unplated Stainless Steel:
(both heads and handles)

• Pils
  • Weber polished head (PH)
  • Above the Tie (ATT)
  • Tradere

Chrome Plated Stainless Steel:
(both heads and handles)

• Feather AS-D1 and AS-D2

Coated Stainless Steel:

(Coated heads with uncoated handles)

• I Kon (DLC and all prior steel-looking finishes)
  • Weber DLC

Last edited:
I like the idea of a list. And I'll expand the Stainless Steel Section....

Uncoated/Unplated Stainless Steel:
(both heads and handles)

• Pils
  • Weber polished head (PH)
  • Above the Tie (ATT)
  • Tradere

(both heads and handles)
(warning: if chrome scratches or chips the plating will very likely actively promote rusting of the stainless steel beneath, and the plating will also complicate or prevent repair)

Coated Stainless Steel:

(Coated heads with uncoated handles)
(warning: if coating scratches or chips the coating may hasten rusting of the stainless steel beneath, and the coating will also complicate or prevent repair)

• I Kon (DLC and all prior steel-looking finishes)
  • Weber DLC

Ah ... yes! Nice one Shawn, how could I forget the Feathers!

Thanks for the replies guys, if anyone else has more to add to the list please feel free to add. I'll compile the list into my first post.

the feathers plating is not regular chrome afaik. the satin chrome is very hard. you would probably have to use tools to abrade it.
if the dlc is regular dlc I would be weary of that.

Ok im still kinda new but I notice ikon gets no love on here or is not really mentioned. Why is that are they junk?

Ok im still kinda new but I notice ikon gets no love on here or is not really mentioned. Why is that are they junk?

The owner of iKon is banned from B&B for some bad behavior. I don't know the details, but it was bad enough to get banned. I think the products seem to be fine, but the owner has a bad rep.

(both heads and handles)
(warning: if chrome scratches or chips the plating will very likely actively promote rusting of the stainless steel beneath, and the plating will also complicate or prevent repair)

***Warning***
After 3+ years as a owner and user of one of the products this speculation is aimed at, all I can say is, "huh?"

They are not junk. Some of them are very nice razors.
As mentioned, the owner has some behavioral problems. There are members here who have determined to never give him any of their money because of the things he has done over the years.

***Warning***
After 3+ years as a owner and user of one of the products this speculation is aimed at, all I can say is, "huh?"

I am not a metals expert, and I can only speak from research that I've done as a layman on the Internet. Also, it is moreso only speculation because outside of the Feather razors, it seem stainless steel just doesn't get chrome plated that often (I believe most experts speculate that chrome plating stainless steel would either be wasteful and/or counter productive).

A thicker, higher quality chrome plating will however protect much longer than a cheap chrome coating. In regards to the much loved Feather razors, only time will tell us for certain how long they last in actual use.

However, chrome in general does act to promote the rust of underlying metal if/once the chrome protection gets breached:
http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html

Also, couple of more research links can be found on this posting:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...m-head-vs-all-stainless?p=6444474#post6444474

And more context in an older posting here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...azors-should-I-consider?p=6303590#post6303590

Obviously all razors will age to become unusable eventually. The Feather razors seem to offer a trade off of complete rust resistance and better scratch resistance for the lifespan of the chrome's protective barrier. In the long run (decades/centuries) though I strongly suspect uncoated/unplated stainless steel will last much longer (with just a little maintenance), plus will allow for easy buffing repairs that wouldn't be possible with a chrome plating.

Last edited:
chrome will make high carbon steel rust like crazy once breached. hence the bumper on a '72 buick,Cadillac,what have you. mild stainless, even through capillary action is hard pressed to rust. it is the so called stainless in high end knives that will rust. that, is not really stainless steel. carbon,chromium,vanadium too high.

plus as I said the feathers satin chrome is very hard to chip.

you are mostly correct in theory however.

chrome will make high carbon steel rust like crazy once breached. hence the bumper on a '72 buick,Cadillac,what have you. mild stainless, even through capillary action is hard pressed to rust. it is the so called stainless in high end knives that will rust. that, is not really stainless steel. carbon,chromium,vanadium too high.

plus as I said the feathers satin chrome is very hard to chip.

you are mostly correct in theory however.

I have changed my post above to say, "caution" instead of "warning" ... Does that seem fair?

yes, that is completely reasonable. thank you. you can say what you want anyways it is okay. it's just that it was true perhaps in extreme/unusual circumstances but not normal. the dlc really should have no bearing at all on rust. I just don't like dlc because it flakes off and looks like crud. however it is unlike chrome in the fact that itself is a rust inhibitor and is too thin of a coating to cause any capillary action. the satin chrome could if this was a power tool but for our use highly unlikely that would happen. caution is fair though. it could theoretically happen if one just beats the snot out of it. any metal will rust if treated so poorly. "stainless" means just that. stainless. not rust proof. people tend to confuse those things. quite frankly the bare stainless could rust but unlikely as well. high end cutlery will rust in no time if not taken care of however.

I am not a metals expert, and I can only speak from research that I've done as a layman on the Internet. Also, it is moreso only speculation because outside of the Feather razors, it seem stainless steel just doesn't get chrome plated that often (I believe most experts speculate that chrome plating stainless steel would either be wasteful and/or counter productive).

A thicker, higher quality chrome plating will however protect much longer than a cheap chrome coating. In regards to the much loved Feather razors, only time will tell us for certain how long they last in actual use.

However, chrome in general does act to promote the rust of underlying metal if/once the chrome protection gets breached:
http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html

Also, couple of more research links can be found on this posting:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...m-head-vs-all-stainless?p=6444474#post6444474

And more context in an older posting here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...azors-should-I-consider?p=6303590#post6303590

Obviously all razors will age to become unusable eventually. The Feather razors seem to offer a trade off of complete rust resistance and better scratch resistance for the lifespan of the chrome's protective barrier. In the long run (decades/centuries) though I strongly suspect uncoated/unplated stainless steel will last much longer (with just a little maintenance), plus will allow for easy buffing repairs that wouldn't be possible with a chrome plating.

Who knows for sure what the future will bring. But if you look around today, ATT has rust issues, Tradere has rust issues, Pils has rust issues, the list goes on, unless special care is taken, drying, breakdown, alcohol, etc.

Feather engineers saw this coming and took steps to avoid the issue. Just shave, rinse and shake. Just like all them 100 year old Gillettes.
Anything can happen, but I'll put it on my calendar to do a thread update in 97 years.:001_smile

Top Bottom