What's new

What do you find to be overrated? Underrated?

Overrated: Acqua di Parma shaving cream. Not sure I really get why many members here rave about it. It's not only expensive but I have used it a few times and would actually prefer to use an Arko shave stick. (I need some opinions here because I constantly read about how great it is).

Underrated: Arko shave stick lol

Overrated: ShaveNation.com - HORRIFIC CUSTOMER SERVICE. Watching GeoFatboy on YouTube is what led me to his ShaveNation.com site. Ordered some product from him which resulted in damaged goods received. It happens. Phone calls (always a voicemail) and repeated emails went unanswered. To this day, crickets.

Underrated: The Art of Shaving - Now before everyone beats me over the head with an ugly stick, at least hear me out. To its credit, The Art of Shaving has introduced many people to the amazing world of wet/de/straight shaving. People who would otherwise most likely never even have heard of such an alternative method; much less consider giving it a try. As to their prices which are always talked about as being grossly overpriced? Well, some are, some aren't. Their software is not above what many of the other premium creams/soaps are priced elsewhere. Yes, their hardware does have a markup. Ever priced a retail space in a high end mall lately?

The above is based solely upon my personal experience and mine alone. I know there are two totally different camps of opinion regarding the above. You may now proceed with your regularly scheduled programming......beeeeeeeeep.

Overrated: ShaveNation.com - HORRIFIC CUSTOMER SERVICE. Watching GeoFatboy on YouTube is what led me to his ShaveNation.com site. Ordered some product from him which resulted in damaged goods received. It happens. Phone calls (always a voicemail) and repeated emails went unanswered. To this day, crickets.

Underrated: The Art of Shaving - Now before everyone beats me over the head with an ugly stick, at least hear me out. To its credit, The Art of Shaving has introduced many people to the amazing world of wet/de/straight shaving. People who would otherwise most likely never even have heard of such an alternative method; much less consider giving it a try. As to their prices which are always talked about as being grossly overpriced? Well, some are, some aren't. Their software is not above what many of the other premium creams/soaps are priced elsewhere. Yes, their hardware does have a markup. Ever priced a retail space in a high end mall lately?

The above is based solely upon my personal experience and mine alone. I know there are two totally different camps of opinion regarding the above. You may now proceed with your regularly scheduled programming......beeeeeeeeep.

wow was surprised to see that. i only bought a couple of items from geofatboy but he shipped them within hours of ordering. he even threw in a keychain and it was not even a big order. guess we had opposite experiences.

the aos store in the local mall always fascinated me. it's probably why i got into wetshaving.

wow was surprised to see that. i only bought a couple of items from geofatboy but he shipped them within hours of ordering. he even threw in a keychain and it was not even a big order. guess we had opposite experiences.

I was equally as surprised as yourself. For on previous orders from ShaveNation.com, they were shipped literally within hours from when I placed the order. Very fast. But the last order in question, don't know what happened? But I'd never do business with them again. At least not until such time that Joe stepped forth and acknowledged a misstep in communication. Everybody makes mistakes both in life and in business. It's how we address them after the fact that reveals one's true character and integrity. Just my view, mind you.

Overrated- Boar brushes, most artisian soaps (one in particular leaves a slick residue requiring excessive rinsing- reminds me of the slime strip on disposables!)

Underrated- Arko!

Since the OP was "over/under rated" - it's a classic YMMV thing. Now if it was "over/under hyped", that's a different issue. But I've enjoyed this thread!

Overrated: Gillette Slims. I almost want to broaden this to any adjustable razor.

Underrrated: Hard to choose, since over time every good product has gotten recognized. I will suggest Body Shop Maca Root shave cream. Slick as snot, has a great feel after the shave, and even has a good smell (compared to Speick, which other than smell is also worthy of note).

linty1

My wallet cries.
Overated: agree with Patpug, preoils and lotions, cant tell the difference with or without them.

Underated: Low cost razors like the Lord l6, Feather Popular, Gillette Sterling that give me amazing shave after shave. Also the arko stick. It just lasts and lasts me. Imho If you're on a budget, an arko stick you could prob pass on to your kids lol

Overrated: Gillette adjustables. They shave well enough but no better than the non-adjustable razors to warrant the prices they go for.

Underated: Van der Hagen soap. For me it performs well above it's price point.

Overated : BBS, number of passes, personna blades

Underated: Technique, Value for the money (a RR soap a 7$ for quality), Muhle STF

Top Bottom