What's new

Grimm blades

This is a fascinating saga. I've seen businesses go from incompetent to competent or from bad service to excellent service. I've seen them go from poor quality goods to excellent quality and, of course, the reverse of these.

I've never personally experienced, however, the migration of a company from suspect perhaps even unethical business practices to reliably good behavior. That "seems" to be what's happening here. Undoubtedly the Grimm blades are good quality; I need no more than Bayamontate's word on that, but I can't help but be wary about a company with such a checkered past.

Still, one has to believe that things, people and even businesses can change.

I did purchase one of their Dovo 6/8 specials. http://straightrazors.com/dovo-6-8-blades-grim-edition-razor/ have used it about 10 times. It shaves well and keeps its edge so far.
What I can comment on is customer service. I ordered this blade with engraving, when it came the font was wrong and the engraving was off centered to the outside of the blade. I contacted their customers service via email, they wanted to make things right. The only strange reply I got was about the engraving, they wrote "What made you think the engraving would be centered?" Which caused me to reply, " Would you make a blade with your logo offset?"
We did agree on a few soaps to make things right, and I would keep the blade as the font was not a deal breaker. Overall, I would order from them again.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 287
You are a better man than me Bud Man! These are not cheap and I would want perfection for my hard earned cash. Glad you got a sensible compromise out of it that you are happy with.

yeah.... I was utterly unimpressed with them based on their first appearance here. they have since made a 180 in public relations in the open forums here. I'm doggedly loyal to those who have and continue to earn it, and have a long memory about those who don't.

I won't buy from them.

Not going to be buying one, but does anyone know about the "Straight American" razor they are selling?

Just received my Straight American 7/8" round tip today. It's my first straight razor so I won't comment on the blade itself since I have no experience. But the customer service was actually pretty great. Right after I ordered it I had some second thoughts and emailed customer service to express my thoughts on changing the order to the more expensive Grim Blades. I think he knew there wasn't much real difference between the two because he upgraded my scales to the real carbon fiber scales from the Grim Blades for free just to sweeten the deal. So I'm very happy with the CS, Straight American with upgraded scales as a bonus. Maybe after I gain some experience with straight razor shaving I'll write a review for it.

Hello gentlemen,
I hardly post or reply on websites but I do enjoy this site and have been shaving with straights now for a couple of years. I would like to comment on Grimm Blades. I recently purchased a 6/8 Spanish point Grimm Blade with Rosewood scales, and after reading some negative comments around the web, I called to cancel my order. I was honest with the vendor, Joel, who then assured me the blades were much better now, since they hired a gentleman named Tim to help out. I have to say that the blade is beautiful, the logo is bada$$ and Joel was a very pleasant guy to talk to. I then ordered the Custom Blade HYBRID (Kamisori) and was very impressed with the quality and sharpness. I'm glad I gave these guys a chance. Joel treated me well. Thanks for reading. B&B is one of the best websites for wet shaving. I learn a lot here. Enjoy your shave.

I'll just reiterate a point I made several months back- the company offered a passaround for their razors. I responded via the thread and via PM that I'd gladly take their razors for a spin. Some supporters of the brand responded that the offer was for EXPERIENCED Straight users, which at that point, I had been using straights for a few months(the original post mentioned nothing about experienced straight shavers, but OK) . I've been using straights exclusively since 07/2014. I can now hone my ~ 50 or so straights on jnats, synths(Naniwas), or anything else I've tried. So, IMHO, I'd say I'm now qualified, but have yet to ever receive any response about testing out a Grim Blade. At this point, I see just how expensive these razors are for their questionable provenance. For the cost, I'd either go cheaper and snag a vintage off ebay or from Whipped Dog, get a great deal via BST or Gentlemanly Deals Forum, buy from one of the numerous vendors that sell straights, or speak with one of the many individuals that fabricate their own straights. There are just too many other options available to take a chance with a vendor that still has many questions about their reliability and customer service. It appears some have had success, but since I've yet to receive a responce to the original offer to test out a razor, I'll continue to pass and encourage other options.

BTW- grimm Blades' last post here at B&B was in Jan/2015. Appears they are not interested in this customer base. Here there is an extremely involved captive audience. Guess they found other venues that were interested. Further confirms my decision and I'd hope others realize there are most certainly better options.

Top Bottom